Q&A Forums

Compressor for Gusmer 1600 FF Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Sep 08, 2011 12:27 AM
Compressor for Gusmer 1600 FF
I know this may be slightly redundant, as I know I have asked a very similar question in this forum a few times, slightly altered, but, here goes.

After realizing my compressor was lacking in supporting the 1600 FF + fresh air mask/filtration system, I set up a separate fresh air system, independent of said compressor in hopes that it would give the system the extra boost that i needed to spray consistently.

Now, as it seems, the compressor is slowly denigrating to the point that even a complete overhaul would be silly, when I can simply buy a new one for what seems to be under 3 grand.

I have selected a model that SEEMS to be sufficient in powering the Gusmer ff 1600, but think that it would be best to ask some of the pros on this forum what they think, to make sure it is money well spent.

Gusmer 1600 FF Specifications from the manual:
AIR MOTOR: 16:1 ratio: 26 scfm @ 100 psi (12 liter/sec @ 7 bars)
10:1 ratio (optional): 12 scfm @ 100 psi (5.6 liter/sec @ 7 bars)

and this is the compressor:

HORSE POWER 13.0 HP
ENGINE HONDA
TANK SIZE 30 GALS
ELECTRIC START NO
CFM DISPLACED @ 175 PSI 29.51 CFM
CFM DELIVERED @ 175 PSI 23.02 CFM
REED VALVE SYSTEM YES

h ttp://www.peoplesbuild.com/%2FRol-Air-13GR30HK30-13hp-Gas-Stationary-Air-Compressor-P1142.aspx

h ttp://www.kmstools.com/rolair-13hp-gas-stationary-compressor-10367

Please note: I will not be running anything else on this compressor other than the proportioner.

At first glance I would say that this compressor would be okay, but when considering the difference between delivered and displaced CFMs, I start to question the power behind this unit.

Although if I am limiting the pressure out of this device to 100 as required in the 1600 FF manual, the delivered CFMs would most likely reach 26 CFMS, would it not?

Regards,

Drew.
Posted: Sep 10, 2011 02:34 AM
So after some trials and tribulations and about 10 phone calls,

The factory says, this compressor runs at 25 CFM at 100 PSI.

That's 1 CFM under the manual's requirements...

it's extremely temping to buy this but something says it might be better to get something that runs at closer to 30 just to be safe.

Opinions? Anyone out there?
Circle-D
Posted: Sep 10, 2011 08:31 PM
If you buy a 25 hoping to squeeze 26 the unit will run a 100% capacity ALL the time.You have nothing extra for when parts wear and consume more air or when compressor wears and does not produce as rated.
Personnally, I tend to oversize everything. my Guardian requires 26 so i bought a piston compressor capable of 38 and never had to worry about not having enough. Even when that compressor started to wear it was still plenty. I still use it today in the shop. I replaced it with a slightly smaller screw compressor with a much better life expectancy.
Good quality equipment cost money, whether you spend it all at once at a dealer or a little at a time at the parts store, fixing up an old junk. Not to mention the headaches associated with the latter. Good luck in your quest for air.
Posted: Sep 11, 2011 07:25 PM
Thanks for the reply and information, it is very much appreciated.

You definitely gave me a better point of view.

Which screw compressor did you end up buying? Probably one of the generator/compressor units right? Might be a bit too pricey. At the moment we plug in to 220 40 amps and supply the air separately.

It seems as though there aren't many gas units in the mid 30s range that I can see out there.
Circle-D
Posted: Sep 11, 2011 09:56 PM
I bought a Kaeser 7.5 from Sprayfoam Dist.of N.E. We plug into houshold power also, with a 100 amp breaker.This is plenty of power for the whole rig. I also have a 50KW generator for those jobs where shore power is not available or ample. The generator is oversized also. I think a 30KW would do it, but I could not resist the bargain I found.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.