Q&A Forums

American Lung Association Approval... Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Mar 25, 2006 07:44 AM
American Lung Association Approval...
so if icynene was "approved by the american lung association"...what criteria was used to grant that approval over other foam formulations?
or is it a matter that they were "used by the american lung association healthy house" so with a twist of marketing genious it becomes "approved by.."?
at last years SPFA general meeting there was a topic of "why cant we all just get along" regarding closed cell/open cell people..
but the open cell people call closed cell "nasty ,,toxic,,etc..." and the bio people do the same...(and they now are starting to fill up the board positions at the SPFA)
had the icynene dealer "steal" a 20,000 sq ft shack from me because his foam is ALA approved (clients were doctors,,go figure) and mine is more toxic..(i was planning to put open cell in this shack)
i am not beating up icynene here,,just the immoral vendor..icynene is a good product with GREAT marketing..just a bit expensive for my likeing,,,or else i would consider appling it too for the marketing bump..
what i am asking is did the ALA make this approval by a scientific study comparing other open cell foam products..or did they pick icynene because it was the most popular and available open cell at that time? and did they want foam because of its ability to better control the indoor air quality of a structure? so if it was availability and marketing..can i say my Open cell foam was approved by the ALA too? or may be "Open cell foams Approved and Used by the ALA healthy house"?

(i believe we should make a consious effort to NOT ALLOW this forum to become a BRAND NAME beating board..(like has happened in the past on other forums) we all apply our products for good sound reasons...
Trey Gibson
Posted: Mar 25, 2006 11:20 AM
Icynene is an open cell foam. It is basically a marketing company that got ahold of foam, from what I hear, and they are very good at marketing. Basically all these foams are very similar. I wouldn't go around stating approvals unless your product actually received them. That sounds like a quick way to tarnish your reputation.
Posted: Mar 25, 2006 05:16 PM
no,,, i would never misrepresent my products
but if all open cells are basicly the same..
then "open cell polyurethane foam,,as used by.." would not be a misrepresentation either...

but i would still like to know how the "Approval" was granted,,by what criteria..
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 10:40 AM
Icynene is the most divisive and fraudulent foam company on the North American Continent.

Some of their claims would be funny if they weren't so misleading. They are causing a lot of harmful division to an industry that should be working together.

gcw
Trey Gibson
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 12:41 PM
Very Nicely Said Olger. There is plenty of business out there for all of us so we might as well get along and share info, that is why I like this forum so much.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 07:10 AM
ok,,,so i keep asking this question to people in and out of the foam industry...
an ex EEBA board member told me that
"the director of the ALA's Healthy House program was a "chemical sensitive" individual,,,so he was suspect of foams due to his sensitivity..as the story goes,,he took a sample of the icynene open cell foam with him,,placed it under his pillow,,slept on it overnight..awoke with no untoward effects or other sensitivity issues,,and thus approved the product for use in the home"...
scientific as hell me thinks,,if this is indeed the case...
i make no representation as to the validity of this statement,,and that is why i continue to try to validate or invalidate its context...cause if this is how the "ALA approval" was gained,,im going to use it in my sales presentation when the clients address chemical sensitivity and one foam being "better than others" when it comes to this issue..

...and the truth shall set you free...

spring has sprung,,,time to take on the day...

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.