Q&A Forums

Air Dryer Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Yvan Richard
Posted: May 21, 2010 10:16 PM
Air Dryer
Since it has warmed up my gun keeps plugging. When I leave the gun on the ground and come back there is a patch of iso on the floor. Also sometimes I feel a mist of water coming out of the gun as well. Also if the gun isn't plugged and foam is coming out, it is very ugly foam (lumpy).

I drain my compressor each day. Should I still have an air dryer if so what size?
I run a Graco E30 proportioner,Fusion AP gun, the air compressor is gas with a honda motor.

Thank you
Posted: May 22, 2010 01:19 AM
I would definately have something catching that moisture. You can go to Harbor Freight and buy two for $39.95 each. Put one for both of your stick pumps and the other for your fusion gun and you will eliminate that problem.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: May 24, 2010 07:30 AM
Although a water seperator will help, you should have a refrigerated air dryer. It will remove more moisture than a seperator. You should have one to match the output of your compressor, but you are only using about 10-12 cfm with your ap gun and drum pumps combined. If you have a fine mist of iso coming out in the air purge when you are not spraying then you have a bad side seal to mix chamber seal; scratched side seal or mix chamber, some small contaminent between the side seal and mix chamber, bad oring around side seal 18e, or bad oring around the inner side seal cartridge oring 18d. Give me a call if you need more explaniation.

George 603.348.8880
Posted: May 24, 2010 12:37 PM
Hi George

What does that system run? I haven't looked really hard, but Grangers is the only placed that I have found so far in my area and it is expensive.

I wouldn't mind having one especially when I am running Polyurea and it seems that the hotter it gets, the more of a problem moisture becomes.

You can email me at steve@alphaonespf.com or I can give you a call!
Bryan Kwater
Posted: May 24, 2010 04:55 PM
Just make sure you get one that is big enough. Think ours was in the $1200 range 3 or 4 years ago. We haven't had any moisture issues at all, so it must be working good enough.
Yvan Richard
Posted: May 24, 2010 10:42 PM
Thanks for the help...I will be buying a refrigerated air dray and replace both side seals to the mix chamber. I heard of a sand paper that can be used to buff out the scratches, would you know what grit or where I could pick some up.

Also are you aware of a chemical that eats cured foam? I have a gun (Fusion Ap) with cured foam in it?

Thanks
Cory Boehs
Posted: May 24, 2010 11:01 PM
spfdepot.com has a chemical called ISO remover. It will remove it. WEAR GLOVES! It is some potent stuff!
jimcoler

I have over 10 years of experience specifying and installing open and closed cell spray foam. I've sold my business but I'm still selling for the new owners and consulting on large and custom specific jobs. 

I've expanded my knowledge into t

Posted: May 25, 2010 09:47 AM
We use 1200-2000 grit emery paper. This is typically the wet/dry sand paper available at Harbor Freight.

We also use an air drier (refrigerated) and haven't had any problems since installing it.

We use a paint stripper available at home depot, lowes, or sherwin williams.
Posted: May 25, 2010 07:12 PM
eaton compressor still advertises an air dryer for compressor up to 28cfm for $799...
what georgeous george said on the "mist comin out"...
my opinion,,if you are not shooting everyday with the confusion gun,,tear the biatch down,,clean the parts up and reassenbkle when you shoot the next time...not only will you have a gun that works as it should,,but you will develop an intimate relationship with each and every part leading to a better understanding as to how and why they do what they do...

run drill bits,,torch tip cleaning wire or sumpin up the plugged ports to get the bulk out...soak it in glycol ether solvent and it will soften,,then go after it again with bits, wire, compressed air,,wire brushes,,what ever it takes...

spfdepot will clean it up for you,,,call and ask for pat,,,he even has aftermarket gun bodies,,fluid heads,,and all the other assorted goodies needed for the confusion gun...
give him a call,,,tell him 'dude sent ya,,,
Posted: May 25, 2010 08:39 PM
I like that dude!

intimate relationship with my confusion gun..lol
Yvan Richard
Posted: May 25, 2010 09:40 PM
Thanks for all the help...picked up a 25 cfm refrigerated dryer today for $1003 CDN. I was told to mount it as far away as possible from any equipment that emits alot of heat. So I installed it over top of my proportioner, I only have a 16 ft trailer so space is at a premium. I have mounted it on rubber anti vibration pads and it won't get banged around on the floor. I also will be mounting a small mirror on the ceiling so I can read the gages easily.

As for the side cartridges they only had approx 4500 strokes on them. For what they cost, I don't feel I got enough out of them.

I will go purchase some emery cloth to see how that works. The only thing with this equipment is you have to try to see if it works and that usually leads to many headaches and downtime.
jimcoler

I have over 10 years of experience specifying and installing open and closed cell spray foam. I've sold my business but I'm still selling for the new owners and consulting on large and custom specific jobs. 

I've expanded my knowledge into t

Posted: Jun 01, 2010 08:06 AM
Have you tried the plastic side seals? I've been using them and that's all we use! Now I don't have to replace the mixing chamber and only the side seals as they wear! Plus they're easier to sand down when scared up!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.