Q&A Forums

Air Barrier Association Certifications Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: May 05, 2008 01:13 AM
Air Barrier Association Certifications
I am trying to keep abreast of market trends and I know you tend to have a bird's eye view.

I have been a roofing contractor only doing insulation to fill in the off season.

I noticed lots of posts by contractors (mostly doing residential jobs) arguing about the merits of closed cell vs. open cell. It seems that insulation is a very crowded arena (i.e. price vs. quality warfare).

I am wondering if you have any insight about the Air Barrier Association of America certifications. Is this a gateway to bigger high value jobs (i.e. institutions, hospitals, labs, universities, etc.).

Also, I know that "Air Barrier" can mean several different insulation methods (exterior board insulation, spf, etc.). Do you have any feeling as to whether SPF (closed or open?) is winning this battle.

Do you see contractors trending in this direction, and if no...why not?

Thanks,

Brian
www.roofcrafterswest.com
mason
Posted: May 06, 2008 09:12 AM
Air Barrier Association certifications are a good way to learn about the air barrier field and to separate your company from others. (Just as SPFA accreditation can do the same for roofing and insulation applicators).

Air barriers are the coming trend in construction. Building codes in Massachusetts require air barriers with very specific criteria. The ICC codes are grappling with it but to date have not passed anything but general statements that the building should be air sealed. The 2009 IBC may contain more specific air barrier requirements such as blower door testing or whole building testing of air infiltration. The IRC is not likely to adopt it soon.

The US 2007 energy bill challenges the building codes to reduce energy consumption in commercial buildings by 30% over the next 10 years.

But with energy costs zooming, this is the easiest way to save energy, even if you do not add a substantial amount of insulation.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.