Q&A Forums

15 Thermal barrier characteristics of kraft faced fiberglass? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
jimcoler
Posted: Jan 12, 2011 09:28 PM
15 Thermal barrier characteristics of kraft faced fiberglass?
SO, I just posted on another forum about a bank I was in which has kraft faced fiberglass in the attic on the bottom chords of the trusses and just above a drop ceiling. There was a furnace in the attic and it was surrounded with fiberglass and 1/2" plywood, but the plywood wasn't sealed other than with the karft faced fiberglass! So, how good of a 15 minute thermal barrier is this? I would guess not that good, but who am I to say other than an Asst Fire Chief and spray foamer who fought against the code to begin with?

So, let's get back to the real issue which is this code which unfairly singles us out when fiberglass is known to be worse at fire performance! So, how can we expect customers to spray foam and pay for a thermal break in the system which does nothing?? This is exactly what I saw and there was no thermal barrier!

I think it's about time we start pushing back on the codes and ask the ICC-ES to explain their ruling to go ahead and accept the Modified NFPA 286 test when it's totally false and in need of further testing for real data!
Just my opinion!
Jim

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.