Q&A Forums

Wind Screens Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
ki shin
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 03:54 PM
Wind Screens
Needing some help regarding good wind screens. Any suggestions? I see one on CPI's website for $1,700. Any suggestions as to whether that one is worth it or does anyone have any leads on a cheaper one or how to make one.
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 07:00 PM
Two things come in to play on the tent style wind screens like CPI has for that kind of money.

1) How much room on the roof? If it is a smaller roof (less than 10,000 or so with plenty of penetrations) then a large tent becomes a big hassle and you end up more outside the tent spraying than inside.

2) How much wind is blowing?

I have sprayed just about everything there is out there from on top of a roof. Ranging from cars, attorneys cars (definately my least favorite), things upwind, things downwind, things side wind and even one vehicle in another zip code.

We started doing a couple of things different. I made a 8 X 12 screen using 1 1/2" to 2" pvc in a rectangle. Once the frame was up, I overlapped a drop cloth (Not the plastic ones, but the cloth ones like you can get at lowes or home depot) over the frame and ducktaped in.

Once this is done, I either situate 2 guys down wind sideways or cross wind to catch the overspray. It may sound like a waste of money, but $200.00 bucks a day for two guys to follow your sprayer around is a heck of a lot cheaper than coming up with $250.00 to $350.00 per vehicle to have detailed.

The whole rig probably cost less than $50.00 and you can drill screws through the 90's to assemble once you are on the roof rather than using PVC Glue. You can always put two of these together using wire ties and make a 90 degree angle to work in

I am not sure if there is a need for a $1700.00 spray tent unless the wind is really blowing and then you may want to re-think whether you want to spray or not. I am sure that the larger tents will be great to work in on a bigger roof where you don't have to worry about spraying 100 ft and then stopping to reset the tent.

Be careful spraying paraphet and gunny walls, which is usually where we get the most overspray.
Watch your outward feathers also on windy days. Not only does is put the overspray in the air, but the higher the wind, the more restricted your pass length will be because of the overspray. On windy days, I have a hard time making over a 4-5 ft wide pass without having to much tree barking. On calm days, I can get out to 6 or better on a single pass with no barking.

The spraying part on the last paragraph is only a little friendly advice from one who wasn't as careful with overspray as I should have been.

Steve
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 08:30 AM
We generally use 1/2" electrical conduit to make a 3X6 or 4X8 hand held frame and zip tie either house screen or burlap. We usually use two of these, one to block the wind the other to catch overspray. It only takes one person to hold each wind screen. If you need an enclosure, we use 2X2s and screw together for a 10'X10' frame and put it on pneumatic wheels. We use a stapler to attach burlap to all sides letting the back and sides drag on the roof an inch or two to catch the overspray. It's very light weight. Two people can easily pick it up. Caution! If you don't tie it down at the end of the day you'll find it on the ground the next morning.
Regardless of what you use you still have to watch for overspray.
Dan Beecher
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 10:35 AM
For "Not so bad" days, 10 -15 mph, we use a 4 x 8 frame made of 2x2's with gussets in the corners. Staple a blue tarp to it, trim it and away u go. One guy can run it just fine and you can pull the overspray foam off the tarp. Usually only have put a new tarp on couple times a year. Prob got 20 bucks into them. Made a nice one on wheels last year, haven't used it yet.
mason
Posted: Jun 23, 2009 07:52 AM
windscreens work fine up to around 10 to 15mph. I used them for years along the Texas Gulf Coast nwhere the wind blew every day. I would make mine with PVC pipe and wrap it with burlap. The burlap would allow a slight amount of wind through it. Make it about 10 to 12 ft long and place it on the windward side, so the wind is reduced next to your spray pattern. It is much more difficult to catch the overspray than to prevent the wind from hitting the spray in the first place. The advantage of this technique is that your spray pattern is full and round and not affected by the wind.

I sprayed with this type of windscreen along the coast for more than 10 years and only had to paint one car and one motorcycle.

This works if you have the wind in a prevailing direction, along the coast it typically blew from the Southeast. But, if the wind is swirling you can make an enclosure using a Bakers scaffolding with larger wheels. Using burlap again we would make an enclosure roughly 12 ft by 6 feet and stretch some poles on the scaffold to make it 7 ft high and have the burlap drape down to the surface of the roof. You can spray inside this contraption to around 15 mph, beyond that it gets kind of hairy and the wind wants to push you off the roof.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Sep 06, 2009 10:53 AM
We have the CPI unit. Works well. Costly, yet much cheaper than angry car owners and pile-on time..

g
Dakotafoamboy
Posted: Jul 29, 2016 08:52 PM
I made one from 2x2s 4x8 foot with door screen on it. Cheap and effective.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.