Q&A Forums

what did we do wrong??? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jun 18, 2011 08:45 AM
what did we do wrong???
so...advanced frameing method,,,
1" r board over 2x6 frameing with 3" cc foam in stud bays,,,13" min oc from top plate to peak of roof,,garage got 2" cc sides,,,8" oc to peak,,,
(attic service for utilities only,,,new fangled oc foam allowed exposed btw,,no ib coating thank you very much)
well we gots done sprayin and hooked up that there blower door thingy,,(could never understand why testing occurs after the rock is up and the house is finished,,,kinda like,,yep,,its a leakin,,so what ya gonna do about it now big fella??? dept of energy with head up rectum me thinks??)anyways,,,back to my rant,,,
so we fire up the fan and,,,,,,and,,,,and,,,the darned thing cant make pressure,,,i mean we cant get to 50 pascals of pressure with her crankin double 4 time,,,warning will robinson low pressure,,low pressure,,warning,,warning...lol..
now the winders were bowin,,,the tape was poppin off the poop pipes flanges,,,and we were floatin around the room like tinkerbell,,,but by golly there werent no leaks,,lol..well we did find one with smoke where they double stacked shims on a winder,,and it was pullin between the shims,,,wild,,but it was drawin there,,air is an opportunistic muther..much like the foamguys down the road,,,lol(creative little biatches liked my name so much they named their company after it,,if you cant dazzle em with your brilliance,,,just friggin confuse em to hell)

test before you rock,,duh,,,find the leaks and fix em while you can,,derr,,,

shall we take wagers on the final hers index? in a home whose attention to performance was givin to the building envelope and hvac system only,,
no trades for appliances, bambu floors,,cfl's or other penny savers,,,
i say 40 max with maybe high 30's more likely,,,

and do we understand the hers index?? that is a hillbilly question,,cause im surprised at the number of folks who dont know what that "65" rating means,,, its stupid-simple,,even i probably got it wrong,,,lol..

i left my spray rig
back at home
and now im
shaken good
just whats a dude
apposed to do
with out his
lively hood
the sun is hot
the beer is cold
the girls
remind me of
the goddess
but i need some drift
upon my skin
to calm my
inner violence

from a burma shave sign on a lonely arizona highway,,,,
angus mcdougald
Posted: Jun 18, 2011 07:44 PM
A 0 hers rating is a net zero home, 100 is national building code, under 85 is energy star... its about energy consumption....

Im not the scientist of my company I only play one on blobs..... if you want email leia@brightalt.com to talk real good bs... (building science)
Posted: Jun 19, 2011 08:09 AM
oh,,i thought it was bambu floors,,
energy consumption???hmm,,geothermal,,,???the consumption is the same if the house is insulated to crap,,but the cost to the user is less to waste the energy out the walls and thru the roof,,,green indeed,,dont matter if the house is heated with a bucket of burnin horse crap,,the load is the same,,,but they got a lower hers number for it much like the trade down for the fancy fridge that saves em,,,look at the sticker,,25 smackers a year,,green indeed,,,(and lets not forget our bambu floor,,embodied energy only matters with spf)oh baby were makein a difference here,,now honey go pay that 400$ utility bill and crank up the ac its hot in here,,,,

so,,shudda we drilled some holes in da wall to make that blower fan thingy work???

shudda we just pulled the numbers outta our rectum like some of the fellas out there(seems if you look at there hers rateings all there homes have exactly the same numbers,,hmm,,,and my frameing and drywall freinds have never seen one of them blower door thangys near one of their homes,,hmm,,,great system we gots here,,,
insulators rating there own homes,,,or a sub entity rating there own homes,,,and relationships are developed because of these "services" that can be provided,,,no doubt,,pretty houses with real nice 5 star plus rateing that work like the homes they built 10 years ago,,,cause guess what,,,they are being built like they were ten years ago,,,
Joel Sikkila
Posted: Jun 19, 2011 08:03 PM
Foamdude...
I am relatively new to the board, but have been a regular reader for some time. I have nothing close to the amount of experience in foaming that you have, so you'll have to pardon my naivete and not take it as an affront to your professionalism. I do, however, have a background as a BPI certified professional. I just did a blower door test on a home (a code compliance test to meet 2009 IECC air leakage requirements) Friday afternoon, and had the same initial problem. I advise my customers to have the test performed no later than the completion of the drywall phase just in case, as you mentioned, there is a problem that needs addressing. House had a veneer plaster finish, which created an excellent air barrier, so I knew the number would come in low... I run a Retrotec blower door system, and had the fan on at 100% speed and the read out said "too low". As the Retrotec DM-2 controller reads the same when it cannot reach -50 due to too much or too little air flow, it took me several minutes to figure out I had made the simple mistake of not installing the air flow reduction rings. I don't know your exact situation, or whether you tried several ways, but thought I'd at least bring it up...
Posted: Jun 20, 2011 01:11 AM
me take it personal,,golly no,,
this is about dialoge jds,,,
even if its wrong..lol...
post more!!we need more folks with real
performance directed vitals willing to share
their thoughts,,,insights,,and observations,,
will check with marvelousmarvin on the reduction rings on the blower door thangy,,,great suggestion,,,(i would place my wager on them bein there,,not his first rodeo in this type of structure either),,,
oh yeah,,perty pleeze,,small "f",,little dude in a big world,,
:)

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.