Q&A Forums

Ventilation in Equipment room Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Nov 27, 2008 09:47 PM
Ventilation in Equipment room
We need to add some ventilation to our equipment room in our gooseneck. We have a 4' door and two 2x3 louvers to help with circulation but I think I need to add a few more vents on the upper level of the gooseneck to move air around the compressor.

Any recommendations for hatch doors or fans that are recommended? Any photos of rigs would be appreciated. We saw one foamer that had a really nice set up with a large hatch door that would lock open and they had a fan mounted in the opening.

Also, I need a small hose door at the rear of our rig. Any suggestions on what to use or how to make it? These same guys had fabricated a hatch door that had 4 rollers just inside the opening so the hose wouldn't catch or rub on the edges.
Posted: Nov 28, 2008 09:01 PM
hey there newbee!!!
remember KISS...
i mounted a thermo controlled attic gable vent fan from the local lowes just under the roof vent which is centered up over the goosenecks dog house,,,it is always hot up there with the compressor up there so this thing runs alot,,we have 3 years on this one and it is still running,,but we figure it will be easily and quickly replaced even in the field if it goes down as the style of fan is readily available anywhere....move air in the forward compartment,,move alot of air in the forward compartment,,,exhaust the heat when temps are up,,,keep it in the trailer when theres frost on the pumpkins...(had a rocket scientist tell me that you can easily calculate the btu's being produced by your equipment,,and by knowing the size of your room, and the size of your vent openings and other really techinical stuff,,,you can come to a "real number" for the cfm needed to make somany air changes per hour ad nausem,,look out turkey chunks...)....but me,,if its hot,,i just hook up another fan in the door,,or on the floor,,or up on the neck,,or all of the above...remember,,mechanical rooms are always hot,,,do your maintance on your gear and it will be ok,,,(dont forget about the increased incidense of condencsation in your compressor tanks if they are up there too,,hot cooling down makes moisture..autodrains good)
we notched our doors bottom rail to allow a elcheapo flap type door with the hinge mounded on the top...this alows the door to close with the hose laying on the floor of the trailer,,,can you imagine i use readily available 12"x12" or so flap doors,,,earl here,,cheap earl,....dont see why the rollers cause once the hose is layed out there it just lays there(story of my life but i digress),,,but i too avoid any sharp edges in the construction of the flap doors frameing....
just a few thoughts my bud,,,
good luck to you...
'dude
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Dec 13, 2008 05:37 PM
I've been trying to find the thread that talks about what type of heat people are using in the production area of their trailer?

I'm looking for some type of decent 120v heaters I can plug in in the shop and at the jobsite if I have to leave outside overnight in this cold weather.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.