Q&A Forums

UV protection for closed cell Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
thomas malloy
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 03:42 PM
UV protection for closed cell
I just finished spraying a tanker truck and i need to prtect the foam from the sun what type of paint can i use to protect the foam from the sun light. or is there any other product out there that guys are using to cover foam when spraying outside.
mason
Posted: Jul 28, 2009 07:36 AM
Foamman,

I am reminded of the old saying "Ready, Fire Aim". It would have been better to obtain this information before spraying the foam.

There are specifications that the industry developed on insulating metal service vessels with sprayfoam and a guideline for elastomeric coatings (AY 103 and AY 102, downloadable at sprayfoam.org) I would recommend getting a copies and reviewing it.

There are 3 main coatings used over sprayfoam in exterior applications, acrylic, polyurethane and silicone. Acrylic is the most economical, silicones last the longest without their physical properties changing. Both acrylic and silicone coatings are considered breathers (allowing water vapor to pass into and out of the foam). The other type of coating used most often is polyurethane. Polyurethane coatings typically have the highest tensile strength and can be either a vapor retarder or a breather (depending on the formula).

If the tank is keeping liquids cold you would need to use a vapor retarder coating and if it is keeping liquids hot, you would need a breather type coating.

It is best to apply the coating the same day that the foam is sprayed. UV will start to degrade the foam within a day or so. If it sits for more than 48 hours, you would need to prime the surface in order for the coating to adhere well.
If you let it go longer than that, you may have to scarf the surface area and spray some more foam to get a surface that the coating will adhere to

(If the tanker is inside the building you have extra time to apply the coating, but if it is outside, then you have a problem)

The industry recommends using at least a 2.5 lb density foam. It stands up better against the elements without delaminating or blistering.

There are two documents you need to review from SPFA, AY 102, Guideline to Elastomeric Coatings Used in Sprayfoam Roofing and AY 103, Guideline for SPF Used to Insulate Metal Service Vessels.

Ask your foam supplier for some assistance.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.