Q&A Forums

Using Black Pipe Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Kyle Wheeler
Posted: Jul 01, 2009 06:52 AM
Using Black Pipe
I am going to be putting a spray foam set up together and was wondering if there are any issues with using black pipe to transfer the chemical from the barrels to the proportioner? I also was planning on using the flex hose at each end to make the connections. Would I need to worry about any chemical reaction between the black pipe and the chemical? I am uspraying 2 lb cc.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Jul 02, 2009 04:56 PM
If your referring to ABS "black" pipe
DO NOT USE ABS Pipe
The iso will break it down and you'll have a huge mess!!! I used ABS pipe just to put my iso transfer pump in for a few days. When we came back the pipe had deteriorated and was laying in several pieces with iso in a puddle on the floor.
You can use all the PVC "White" pipe you want
Kevin McGinty
Posted: Jul 03, 2009 12:47 PM
I used 3/4in black pipe (Gas pipe) for many years on A&B side and never had a problem.However I have seen pvc break when hit by something when using for air supply.
Posted: Jul 04, 2009 07:01 AM
avoid plastic for compressed air,,,
pressure,,heat,,,failure = kabluewee,,,,schrapnel city in the confines of your shop or spray rig,,,use copper for air,,,

i use black pipe for my fluid supply lines,,,
i am told the corrosive nature of the resins could cause some reaction with black pipe,,,
i dont see it though...maybe cause it happens inside the pipe,,oh my!!! if you are a freak,,why not stainless???lol
remember the principles of fluid flow,,,and build your system to reduce restriction, cavitation, or any of the other potential gremlins of the fluidworld....(well,,think about it anyway)

good luck
'dude
Michael Fusco
Posted: Jul 04, 2009 08:36 AM
I would tend to shy away from BP. In addition to foamdude's observation, you may see rust from water blown products. You won't know until your screens start to show it.

Most rig builders of good rigs will use hose for material, maintaining the blue, red pathway.

I would agree with this, except I would spend the extra money and use the air impervious hose.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.