Q&A Forums

Switching from 2lb to 1/2lb Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Yvan Richard
Posted: May 01, 2011 09:23 PM
Switching from 2lb to 1/2lb
When quoting jobs I would like offer my clients two different price points. One for 2lb and one for 1/2lb.

My supplier mentioned that as longs as I stay with the same brand of foam, in this case
Lapolla, they mentioned the ISO is compatible.

They mentioned to just let my stick pump drain out as much as possible, wipe it down and stick it in the 1/2 lb resinm.
The resin in the line would simply be pumped back into the drum. Then I would spray a test until the foam coming out is 100% 1/2 pound.

Is this is a good idea?
Brian Bothun
Posted: May 01, 2011 09:33 PM
Gaco Western's iso is 2lb and 1/2 lb is also the same. 183M to the GacoGreen

I wipe down all the 2lb resin on the pump and wash it before sticking into 1/2lb resin. The other way i just wipe down the pump and sticker in da hole.
John Shockney
Posted: May 02, 2011 10:38 AM
First of all iso is iso there are only something like three real manufactures of iso in the US and they private label it for different spray foam companies and spray foam is one of the smallest markets for iso.

We switch from open cell to closed cell and back again so much depending on the customer’s need that I run one feed pump for iso, one for open cell resin, and one for closed cell resin with a three way valve between the open and closed cell feed pumps going to my guardian machine. So now I just turn a valve to switch from open to closed or closed to open.
And then we just push one out with the other, with our guardian it takes about 100 strokes on the counter to clear one or the other out of the lines or about enough foam to cover 100 square feet we may have to remove a little bad foam where the two resins mix but it is very little and we plan ahead if we don’t have any place to use the open cell that is in the hose I spray it into my shop or house before starting a closed cell job.

Airpro
Ivan Pauliuchenka
Posted: May 02, 2011 06:19 PM
We same way here, AIRPRO, just take the out out and put it in the other drum,. I don`t wipe `em. I found that switch from GacoGreen 052 to BaySeal CC and back is the best ( BAYSEAL is from S.F.D.O.N.E. thanks to George Spanos) even better than from bAYSEAL OC to CC or BioBased OC to CC any type. NO BAD FOAM. NOT EVEN SH...g you. tried it quite a few times now.
Yvan Richard
Posted: May 02, 2011 09:27 PM
Thanks this is great info. I have 260' of hose with the whip, do you have an idea how many strokes I would need to dump back into the resin drum?

When dumping it back should I turn up the heat on the proportioner to speed up the process or is that a bad idea? I know at 85 degrees the resin will start to foam up.
Posted: May 02, 2011 09:46 PM
At 310 ft of hose, it is around 35-40 strokes to clean the b side out. I normally keep my heaters on when I do bleed my b out unless the drum is close to full.
quentin
Posted: May 04, 2011 03:45 PM
I know CPi used to have something on the stroke count for various Graco machines. I never saved it since mine is a Glascraft. Contact JT at Spray Foam Nation, he may still have the info.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.