Q&A Forums

Suppliers flooding the market with sprayers Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Terry Adams
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 11:43 PM
Suppliers flooding the market with sprayers
My area is being flooded with new spray contractors. Guys if your area isn't being flooded it will be soon. My opinuon is that the suppliers really don't care how many sprayers are in a area because it does not affect their prices of material but where it affect us ( the guys that have to market, sell, inform, pay for advertising, etc ) is when we have to keep lowering prices to get work. I don't know what the solution is but it looks like they are trying lower the standards of living for the existing contractors. Is just in my area or is it nation wide?
philip mullins
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 09:01 PM
funny how the less we make the more the suppliers make. they do it on purpose. the more "competetive" the market the lower prices get and wallah, more peeps can afford the foam.
Posted: Mar 31, 2008 07:11 AM
how do we define new contractors???

and yes they are every where,,,
some doing well,,with morals and conviction,,
and a few that i wouldnt let clean out my hog lots...

the cost of doing business is the cost of doing business,,,my prices dont budge,,,they will be out of business before me,,,they are working for a wage,,we are working for a profit....

and no...the suppliers dont give a ratsazz...we are in this for differen reasons...so choose your vendors carefully,,,you dont have to support the less than scrupulous...

just another manic monday....
Gordon Howard
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 01:29 AM
Suppliers do not care about the applicator's profit margin. They will sell you out. Drop of a hat.

You have to be moving mega-quantities or get lucky and find a decent supplier.
Leonard Stansbury
Posted: Apr 17, 2009 06:21 PM
i am a new sprayer but my prices r just a tad higher than others. If u drop your prices than you will be just like them broke and selling your rig
good workmanship and customer relation and you will do just fine if not than you are doing something wrong dont blame it on the other guy
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 10:00 PM
The suppliers in my area could care less if we all fight for the business and take the money out of it.

Its unfortunate, but a fact of life. In the last 6 months in New Orleans and Baton Rouge, three suppliers from out of state have moved in with material. I am seeing pricing consistantly under $1.00 on OC wall studs 3 1/2".

I think that we went from 20 sprayers in this area to well over 60 since 08. Maybe I will be able to pick up a cheap rig.

Bummer dude, use to be funner
Corey Degetaire
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 11:09 AM
I am from your neck of the woods, a little further south west though, and have been in the foam business for about a year and a half now. I purchased a used rig, so my initial start up cost was less than others. but if i bid $1.00 for 3.5" of OC i would almost be giving it away, and i dont like working for free. I maintain a certian rate depending on type of foam, thickness, and where its being applied. If i loose a job because someone else under bids me, well, then thats that. like i said i dont like working for free. I didnt realize that there were that many contractors in the south la area.
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 02:38 PM
Hi Coreyd

We have been moving further and further to your area to keep out of the lower numbers. Unfortunately, we are not the only ones working farther west, so it is coming your way.

$.88 cents is what three or four of us have run into in the last couple of months in New Orleans on 3 inches. Was at a CPI Seminar several weeks ago and heard the same exact thing from several other sprayers.

I do roofs and polyurea also, so it hasn't been that difficult for us. If it is to cheap, we just pass on it.

Good luck to you!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.