Q&A Forums

srpay technique Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Arville Brown
Posted: May 02, 2009 04:31 PM
srpay technique
what spray technique are you guys useing to spray open cell and what mixing chamber you use?
Posted: May 15, 2009 10:53 PM
...have other company bid job first,,,
offer to spray for $200 less,,,
use under powered equipment,,,,
with a really small chamber,,,
point at wall,,,
and go
bang,,
bang,,,
and then a long,,,
kerbang,,,
like your shooting at your feet and jumpin at the same time,,,,
we call this the "lawn care special"
not to be confused with the
"drywaller dream wall",,,,
Arville Brown
Posted: May 16, 2009 02:30 PM
I was looking for help not a smart remark
Posted: May 17, 2009 05:29 AM
i use an h25-35pro,,,
i stir the resin continually during processing until the drum is about 2/3 empty,,,
i "figure" my processor has a delta T of 50 degrees max,,so i heat the drums to assist the main heaters when needed,,,
we recirc to "purge" line every morning,,,
we use a fusion AP
typically a round 03 chamber for sidewalls,,,04 for larger spaces,,,maybe an 02 for sidewalls,,,
all round,,we just havent been able to get the profile we want with the fans,,,
as we have never liked the appearance of the "roll" at the top oc rise,,,you know,,the appearance of a gap at the foam to stud interface,,,which in reality is just the "top of the roll",,,but it looks like heck when you are used to the beautiful profile and application of a well applied closed cell system,,,anyway...
we turn our gun hard to spray the face of the stud,,,,we try to "draw the line" where we want the top of the foam to be,,like a 1" or so from the top of the studs side-face...we then stroke our way across the cavity to the other side and proceed to turn hard to "draw the line" on the opposing stud face,,,we let the reactivity of the foam dictate the number of strokes to get there,,as well as how far we overlap our pass as we walk the wall...
ergonomics,,,when we are down on the floor we stay on the floor and spray the entire low work for the lenght of the wall,,,usually about a 2' or so pass,,,we then stand and work from that transition for another 2-3' or so,,,we then get on the rolling scaffold and do the upper 2' or so,,,oh yeah and the heels or box and bands,,,
we do not skip cavities,,we just hammer on and stay ahead of the rising foam,,,
we set the temp and the pressures according to how our product du-jour is spraying at that particular moment,,,typically a little higher first thing in the morning till we get things heated up and rolling along,,,increased heat speeds them gosh darned molecules up so the pressures will rise as well,,,(he blinded me with science),,so keep an eye on your pattern and make adjustments to keep such as needed..

not to sorry about the "smart remark",,i meant it,,not at all as a smart remark,,,but maybe just a turds observation as to the reluctance to
"help".....
you see a company with a name such as yours is saturating the cornfield with rigs and top shelf applicators,,probably happenin else where too,,,oh dear the sky is fallin!!!,,i saw no responses to your post for a few days,,,and...oohhh and it made me wonder,,,anyway,,,
here ya go,,,thats how we do it,,,
i hope this provides you the assistance you feel you needed,,,,,,
'dude
Posted: May 17, 2009 11:38 AM
Dude's right. I wait to the last minute to quote now. No sense in being the first one any more.

Not quite sure about the lawn special or the Drywall dreamer, but it is funny.

I have done it from side to side from the bottom up when I first started and then wetting the studs on both sides and filling the middle after expansion.

Both are fine if you are comfortable with a gun. I prefer wetting the studs first and then filling the middle of the cavaties. Seems to stop foam from pulling away from the studs a lot better.

I use on 01 on walls and an 02 on the rafters. Seems fine, but I probably will move up in spray chambers just to see if it is quicker.
Arville Brown
Posted: May 17, 2009 02:42 PM
I been in the business for six years and have no conections with Air Tight. That is my business name it is just hard to up and change the name of your business makes people wonder about you thanks for all the help and I guess I got just a little upset when I saw the reply when that pearson has no idea about my business.
Michael Fusco
Posted: May 24, 2009 09:44 AM
Guys,

Pulling away from the stud is shrinkage. That should not be happening...call your supplier...if he can't stop it, find another supplier. Shrinkage occurs both from the studs and BEHIND THE FOAM. Usually, you can't have one without the other....be careful...that's what causes more performance failures than any other single issue.
Posted: Jun 04, 2009 09:53 PM
Hi Urethane

I have dealt with both BASF and Lapolla over the last few years and never have seen any problems on the closed cell foam.

I personally think that on the 1/2 pound Open Cell to much H20 is being used. I don't know an applicator in my area who hasn't had a problem this past year with shrinkage.

We have manafacturers come in to tell us what we are doing wrong only to have the same thing happen to them when they spray.

Do you ever see this problem on Open Cell in your application? If not, what foam are you spraying?

Steve
Posted: Jun 05, 2009 06:46 AM
true shrinkage is a chemistry issue as u-man implied,,,,
resin rich foam will shrink as well,,,,
we applied all winter with little "shrinkage" although we would see the "thermal cracks" at the top of the roll at the stud interface,,,,

did the manufacutrers reps spray with their wing tips on???(my favorite spray foam add pix!!!)

steve,,the brand we shoot now is a modified open cell and we catalyz it on site,,,this really made a difference in the foams performance,,in shoootability and yield,,,and it can sit in the warehouse a long time if not catalyzed,,,
i tried 2 other brands this winter,,to give em a lookysee and i kept my original vendor,,,,
enjoy
'dude

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.