Q&A Forums

Spraying tanks Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Bryan Kwater
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 09:51 AM
Spraying tanks
What is the best technique for spraying large storage tanks such as oil or water tanks? I have seen some real nice jobs and I have seen some terrible ones. Looks like more bad looking ones in this area. A lot of tanks that have been sprayed a long time ago are starting to wear pretty badly as it looks like they just put latex paint over the foam.

Does anyone have a video or know of a place that I can find one that shows the foam being installed? Also, what coatings have you tried or seen that seem to hold up well?
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 08:25 AM
We have insulated a LOT of tanks over the years. Sorry, no videos. If you don't have experience with spraying a smooth surface, like a roof, I'd find someone that does. Tanks are difficult to spray correctly and conditions need to be right. Choosing the right primer and protective coating is also critical for success! Get your mfg. rep involved to spec the right materials! Cryogenic tanks and heated tanks have very different requirements. We have assisted several contractors with their tank projects and are currently working on three heated tanks in Chicago. If you need any help, we're right next door in Ohio.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 03, 2009 09:49 AM
The real good tank guys spray 70% of the foam and then grind the high spots. Then they add a final lift & coating.

This is the rule in San Joaquin Valley, CA at Gallo et al..

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.