Q&A Forums

Spraying ductwork Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Bryan Kwater
Posted: Jun 01, 2011 11:49 AM
Spraying ductwork
I have been asked for a quote to spray 1 1/2" of closed cell foam to ductwork on the roof of a large plant. All of the ductwork is outside the building. Our spray foam machine only has 300' of hose so we can only reach approx. 1/4 of the ducts that need to be insulated. The problem ducts are approx. 700 feet from the edge of the roof. Do you think using a large froth pack for these ducts would work ok? We plan on spraying an acrylic coating over the foam when we are done. I'm not sure how else to approach this.

I am also giving them an option to let us bring our trailer into the occupied building and running the hose out the exhaust fan holes, but I'm pretty sure that they want to avoid this option.
Jeremy Stomber
Posted: Jun 01, 2011 11:10 PM
What part of Michigan are you in ? Iam in the metro detroit area. Maybe I can help you with some extra hose for the hose.
mason
Posted: Jun 02, 2011 08:27 AM
Yes, froth paks can be used. But be sure to get the ones that are at least 2.5 lb density foam. The foam will have a fairly rough surface texture, so you will need to use a lot more coating than if you were spraying with your proportioner. Check with the froth pak suppliers for the right type of foam. Do not use the 2 lb density froth paks. They do not have the dimensional stability needed for exterior use.
Bryan Kwater
Posted: Jun 02, 2011 09:30 PM
Thanks for the info Mason, I am waiting for pricing on the higher density froth packs. Seems the larger kits really aren't too bad for price. The small ones are pretty pricey though.

urethane1, thanks for the offer. I am out of Bay City. If we end up getting the job, I may get ahold of you to see if we can work something out.
Jeremy Stomber
Posted: Jun 02, 2011 11:19 PM
Give me a call my cell is 772-418-7793
Daniel X
Posted: Jun 03, 2011 12:24 AM
Just thinking about spraying duct work on a roof top makes me cringe and think about detailing cars...

Let us know how it works out.

I've sprayed 2lb. on duct in attics before, and I had a pile of overspray dust on the floor by days end.
Wayne Hawke
Posted: Jun 04, 2011 01:22 AM
Why not a small gravity fed machine that runs on 115 volt. The only air you need is to operate the gun. I have a few machines that would work perfectly. I could rent you one for a couple of weeks. Sure beats any froth pack out there. Just bring your own material up in 5 gal pails.
Dont forget your wind screens and a dedicated guy on overspray patrol.
I am 90 minutes from port Huron bridge.

Call me anytime 519,236,7216
Bob Silverman
Posted: Jun 05, 2011 09:07 PM
What machine is this? Can you use any brand of foam thu it or is there a special blend? How much is it to rent? Does it use a traditional gun the the probler?

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.