Q&A Forums

spraying cold metal? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Dec 15, 2006 10:16 PM
spraying cold metal?
does anyone else have a yield problem with metal or concrete/brick? it seams like even if the substrate is within the temperature parameters, it just wont react very well and the yield is crummy. i use an IR temp gun to check temperature, and i heat my material a little warmer, but it doesnt help, it just sucks up the heat.
The worst time was when i sprayed a metal well house at 2 degrees warmer than the allowed temp (47 degrees). the foam made cracking and popping noises and disbonded.
im spraying closed cell foam by the way.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 16, 2006 08:51 PM
Hi ND. If the foam is cracking & popping at 47° F, the problem is with the foam !!

Unless the metal is galvanized, in which case the oil film on the galvanized COULD allow some disbonding in cold temps. But, what you described is not normal rigid foam results. Especially at 47°.

Yield will drop off on metal & concrete substrates. They act as a "heat sink" and draw reaction heat from the chemical as it hits the surface. This is commom.

all the best,

olger
FirstName LastName
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 03:20 PM
what foam do you use for cold steel(not galv.)? what are your settings. i have a building todo and if i run regular temps 125 it shrinks if i lower my temps it doesnt shrink but doesnt seem to bond real well. any hepl would be appreciated
Circle-D
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 11:32 PM
Olger,
Does the galvanizing need to be preped or primed with anything to assure proper adherance? I have a galvanized quonset hut that has been erected for about a year that needs to be done? Share your thoughts............anyone. Thank you, Skip

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.