Q&A Forums

Spraying Bounus Room Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
matt evans
Posted: Apr 09, 2013 12:05 PM
Spraying Bounus Room
I have a home in SE Georgia (so obviously I’m cooling for about 80% of the year) with a second floor bonus room of about 800 sq ft, which is actually a ½ story in the attic, currently with batt insulation. I am looking to spray a portion of this now, as I have two, 200 ft spray foam kits. This room consists of some knee walls, some sloped ceiling (actual roof), as well some 8’ walls and flat ceiling. My question is, since I currently only have the two kits to start with, what portion(s) of the room would you suggest I start spraying initially to try and get the most efficiency gain, with the intention of adding to the foam later on. I have been told that I should pull the batts up, spray approx. 1” of foam and then replace the batts; does this seem correct as well? Thanks for any suggestions!
Stephanie Perry
Posted: Apr 09, 2013 02:25 PM
Flash and batt (fiberglass and 1" spray foam)the ceiling to reduce solar gain.

Thank you,

Stephanie Perry
Marketing Department
Touch 'n Seal/Convenience Products
800-325-6180
Mark Mouton
Posted: Apr 09, 2013 07:30 PM
800 sq.ft. is a pretty big bonus room from a poor boy's point of view. Pull the batts out of the sloped ceilings and walls and go back with open cell in the slopes @ 5-5 1/2", and the walls with open cell(4") or closed cell(2"). Cover all the studs with (some) foam. (I'm figuring this from the attic side)
We just finished a job like that. We pulled the batts out of the slopes and used a cannon tip to spray open cell back into the slopes. We could get to the slopes from the top and bottom(about 6') Got almost all of it from one side. Then continued to the ridge. It takes an experienced spray man taking his time, (and a good flashlight) to do it and not bust the sheetrock.
If you do it, do it right. There's to much heat load on those bonus rooms. I'm from southeast Texas and I know what you're dealing with.
Cut those fiberglas batts to fit on the end of the floor joists as a backer, and spray the batts to seal where heat can't get between floors. Use your foam for that. Spray it about 1-1/2" thick.
Then you can condition that area. You'll never regret doing it right.
mason
Posted: Apr 10, 2013 11:16 PM
You might want to give me a call to discuss your project. Check out my website masonknowles.com. PS I live in savannah so am probably not far from you

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.