Q&A Forums

Spraying Attic Floor Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Mike Balda
Posted: May 19, 2008 04:02 PM
Spraying Attic Floor
I have heard mixed information about applying a 2lb foam to an attic floor (onto the sheetrock) I have not done this before and prefer to do the roof rafters. I have a customer interested in having the 2lb foam applied directly to the floor of the attic (he will remove fiberglass). What issues with heat and/or warping may result. Is a .5 lb a better choice?
mason
Posted: May 19, 2008 04:53 PM
I actually had that done to my house. I was not able to spray to the underside of the roof deck as I wanted to due to the codes at the time (2003). So we removed the blown in fiberglass and sprayed the foam to the drywall floor between and over the studs. You have to protect the recessed lighting with a box, (don't spray directly to hot surfaces). One benefit of this type of application with the 2 lb foam is that you can walk on the foam without breaking through the drywall. I would not do it with open cell, because you would not be able to walk on it after application. (Folks will need to get in the attic to put in phone lines, computer cables, work on ducts, etc.)

No problems with moisture or warping.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.