Q&A Forums

spray foam not curing after few months Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 07:16 PM
spray foam not curing after few months
I had the attic ceiling (the underside of my roof) in my home sprayed with foam in November by a contractor. We had to vacate our home for 2 days after the job was completed due to very strong fumes. I still have some fumes in the attic area. If I put large fans in my attic area do you think this will cure the foam? The foam is probably 6" to 8" thick. Thanks.
Edward Brassington
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 11:23 PM
Most spray foams cure within minutes not months. Why do you say it is not curing? What type of foam was installed? Is the foam soft or hard? Perhaps it is an open cell foam which is usually soft and similair to merengue. Closed cell foam is hard, typically denser than styrofoam board.

The closed cell foams typically don't off gas, some of the open cell foams do? Some more info might help with your concerns.
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 05:19 AM
It is open cell, real fluffy/soft...I think its called 1/2 pound. I'm assuming that the reason I still smell some fumes in my attic is because the foam never totally dried after application. Thanks.
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 07:07 AM
Something else may be going on. What city do you live in?

Steve
mason
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 11:09 AM
It sounds like a classic case of B rich foam. If it is very soft, has lots of deformed cells and smells, it is most likely off ratio and is lacking the A side of the component. You need to remove the foam and respray.
Frank Bood
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 05:04 PM
Mason hit it right on the head. Now how does one fix this issue? respray an inch or so of good foam?
mason
Posted: Feb 18, 2009 09:33 AM
I have found that if you leave the off ratio foam it will continue to emit odors for years to come. So, you need to remove the foam. (Clean the substrate well to get off all the gummy stuff). Ask your suppliers recommendation and follow them on clean up and respraying the foam.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.