Q&A Forums

specs on sound attenuation Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Tim Trott
Posted: Jan 26, 2008 09:45 PM
specs on sound attenuation
My contractor customer is interested in applying closed cell foam in the interior ceiling between floors on his next house, but wants me to supply him with some specs for comparison between foam and fiberglass for sound attenuation purposes. I'm not having much luck on google. Any help would be appreciated.
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Jan 26, 2008 10:05 PM
Open cell would be better for sound deadening between floors of interior spaces. Also great in bathrooms and laundry rooms as well!

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
mason
Posted: Jan 26, 2008 10:13 PM
Tim,

Closed cell foam and open cell foam works great for stopping airborne noise by sealing the cracks and crevices of your walls. But, closed cell is not as good as open cell or fiberglass against the vibration noises that you would have from folks walking on the floor above you.

I have some data on testing done of closed and open cell foam. Send your email address and I will forward it to you. If your email is the same as your handle, you should have it already.
Rob Granger
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 01:46 PM
Mason,
I have a potential customer that wants a quanset hut foamed to help with the noise within. The hut contains a natural gas compressor and the neighbors are complaining. Could you e-mail me your research and any opinions. Thanks. rgranger at localnet com
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 05:43 PM
STC ratings: (higher is better)

Fiberglass - 36
Cellulose - 44
Ultra Touch - 45
Empty wall - 33
Half-pound foam - 37
mason
Posted: Apr 20, 2008 08:37 AM
As Olger states, closed cell foam can stop air born noise by providing a tight air seal (as will open cell foam). But the numbers are not good for absorbing noise. email me at masonknowles@aol.com for a copy of data that Mark Bomberg compiled in his book on SPF on sprayfoam's sound qualities. (it also varies according to the decibal leveling, but as stated earlier, cellulose is very good at absorbing sound but not as good an air seal.) A combination system of SPF and celluose would be an ideal solution.
Rob Granger
Posted: Apr 20, 2008 06:50 PM
Mason,
Are you suggesting the spray foam for the air sealig quality. CC or OC How did you get the cellulose to mechanically stay put to the ceiling?
mason
Posted: Apr 20, 2008 07:13 PM
Yes,

There is a cellulose that can be sprayed to ceilings and act as a thermal barrier of sprayfoam. Ask your supplier.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.