Q&A Forums

Soy formula Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 07:14 PM
Soy formula
Hey guys

Its been a while since my last post. Was wondering if anyone has been having any problems with low yield with rigid soy foam. Sprayed first set today and was less then satisfied with the yield.
Thanks in advance.
grant sholty
Posted: Jan 27, 2007 07:39 PM
have used soy in past never again problems with the foam shrinking and company did n ot stand behind it. i am under the understanding that r-value for r-value soy foam is tha same price as reg foam but many more inconsistancies. as for yield if you do the math it should yield out. did you do a density check to see if that is right? that would be the only reason that yield would be off that i can think of. some companys will tell you a yield and density at perfect weather conditions and if you are spraying at say 2" lifts, if you go 1" than yield suffers and density increases.
Tom Hudson
Posted: Feb 03, 2007 10:37 PM
Was a complete nightmare when we used Ark Soy material. Company was zero help and would not stand behind product. Just Say NO!!!!
Jeffrey Pilapil
Posted: Feb 11, 2007 11:17 AM
Our introduction to spray foam insulation was with biobased systems soy foam. Although I've never sprayed anything else, I can attest to the feedback and support that the company has given us and would rate it as highly adequate. Problems that we have had I think had more to do with inexperiance than the product itself. Alot, if not most, of our clients highly attracted to the sustainable nature of the soy based material.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Feb 11, 2007 04:26 PM
Soy foam is greatly over-rated at this point. Almost all foams have a modicum amount of soy oil in them, along with the petroleum (some more than others).
What they are doing is attempting to appeal to the tree-huggin, knuckle draggin, perrier-drinkin liberally-acclimated crowd.

In 5-years, soy foam resins may achieve breakthroughs and really take market share. Not there yet.

What we need is continuing ingenuity in the spray foam industry to develop alternative blowing agents and formulas. The truth is: we won't significantly throw back the strongholds of fiberglass until we have cheaper and better foams. Keep inventing...

regards,

olger
Jeffrey Pilapil
Posted: Feb 12, 2007 10:02 PM
first off, i live in crunchy, tree-hugging Vermont(as do my clients) and providing green or sustainable materials such as cellulose and soy-based foam in order to create more energy efficent homes and buildings is a major selling point.
Secondly, it is of my own moral standpoint to minimize my and my company's environmental impact and carbon footprint in order to preserve the health of the country for my suceeding generations and I'm NOT going to wait five or so years to start!
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 06:10 PM
Do people ever think that in order to get the soy beans for foam the process is,
1 The seed is hauled to the dealer with a diesel truck.
2 Hauled to the farm in a diesel truck
3 Planted with a diesel tractor
4 Harvested with a diesel combine.
5 Hauled back to the farm with a diesel tractor
6 Hauled to the bin with a diesel truck
7 Hauled to the foam company with a DIESEL

Just because their foam has beans in it doesn't mean it didn't use oil in order for that to happen.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 05:58 PM
Gotcha..

olger
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 07:24 AM
(hauled from a foam company with a diesel)
didjaknow that there are polyols that use PET2 recycled plastic in its formulations,,and that the bulk of the polyol in the resin is a sucrose based polyol...

thinkin out loud...so i used a closed cell foam in a large custom,,hvac design said ~$620 in the worst winter month to heat this hugmongo starter castle...this is the #4 winter in operation...highest bill for heat $230 since put in operation...
green??
efficient??
reduceing dependance??
reduceing carbon emissions??
helping slow global warming??
foam good
foam works
foam-it!
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 02:45 PM
Tom,

I haul my trailer to the site with a truck filled with BIO-diesel, and run my generator with BIO-diesel. That said, I don't use soy foam, but I am still doing my part.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 08:07 PM
I am not against any soybean or corn development at all.
We have 200 acres we grow crops on every year.
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 09:16 PM
I would love to see better bio-based foam. I think it would be a better selling point. I can't use the bio foam now but I can at least use biodiesel. Give and take!

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
philip mullins
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 11:35 PM
you guys are starting to make me feel guilty! think i'll get my old chevy to the muffler shop and have 'em reinstall the catalytic converters i cut off last year. i sure am gonna miss those 20 extra ponies!
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Feb 17, 2007 11:06 PM
Large grin.

olger

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.