Q&A Forums

Form to spray against Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
David Pressler
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 10:51 AM
Form to spray against
I am in the process of building a monolithic concrete dome and one hurdle is insulation plus a form to spray concrete onto. Hypothetically could I use plastic or tarps to cover my metal frame and spray 3 to 4 inches of foam onto the fabric? Once cured could I then remove the plastic or tarp? MY next step would be to spray concrete over the foam, all of the work would be done from the outside of the framing?
In Florida I need an R-22 at the roof and R-18 for walls.

David Pressler
President, DRD Enterprises Inc. of Davie
858 NW 81 Terrace
Plantation, FL 33324
954-370-7944 Fax 954-337-2837
www.lunarcon.com
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 07:55 PM
I think I would put chicken wire around all the metal framing and then plastic over that and probally spray foam from the inside. The chicken wire would stay in the foam permenatly and the plactic would be removed. I do not know they spray concrete.
John Shockney
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 11:20 PM
I have read about using an inflatable vynal balloon to spray the foam on and then spraying the gunnite or shot-creat over the foam. You can check this link that my spray foam rep told me about.
UCSC has supplied the foam for some of these domes.
Hope this helps
Thanks
John
AIRPRO
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 07:33 AM
David,

How big are the spaces between the metal framing? How thick is the concrete going to be over the foam?

George
David Pressler

Builder of Off Grid monolithic indestructible concrete structures with exterior foam ALSO Foam Domes.

Posted: Jan 18, 2007 07:51 AM
I have a metal geo frame and the spaces between the struts are approximately 3 feet. From what I have read this should not be an issue since a light initial spray will solidify so as the next layer will be on the first layer of foam.
Traditionally the airform is inflated and foam is sprayed against the form 2 to 3 inches from the foam rebar is hung and 6 to 4 inches is then sprayed against the foam from the inside.
I want to end up with the same end product but use an alternative technique. Many job sites have no electrical this is why I want to eliminate the use of a inflatable airform that needs to run continuously plus the additional man hours and expense erecting and purchasing the airform.

LOOKING FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING in the construction of monolithic concrete structures and a company who does spray foam in Florida, the Inverness area.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 08:40 AM
Dudley Primeaux might be good counsel for you Dave.
http://www.polyurea.com/cdps/cditem.cfm?nid=274

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.