Q&A Forums

sound damping in attic Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
jim gilkeson
Posted: Aug 11, 2009 12:04 PM
sound damping in attic
I have a newer home (3 years young) with Icynene insulation on the exterior walls and underside of the roof. the Den area of the house is a double high room, and I am interested in reducing the echo from the high ceiling. I have considered putting cellulose insulation on the ceiling of that room to help out. I have read several threads on the forum that lead me to believe this would be okay. I would appreciate any input you may have on this approach, or if there is a better alternative.
thanks for a great site!
Jim
mason
Posted: Aug 11, 2009 01:46 PM
Cellulose has good sound absorbing qualities but I am wondering what kind of sound you are referring to. An echo from the attic? Do you mean rainfall on the roof?
jim gilkeson
Posted: Aug 11, 2009 02:01 PM
no, the noise I am referring to is anything in the Den. TV and Mostly the Kids!
due to the double height of the room, any interior noise is magnified. Echo may not be the best term. I was hoping to deaden the effect of the room height by putting something on the ceiling in the attic, however I do not want to compromise the Icynene on the underside of the roof.
thanks,
Jim
Dan Beecher
Posted: Aug 11, 2009 04:39 PM
We spray a cellulose from ICC called sonaspray. Looks like a heavy texture, spray about .5" thick. Have it on my ceiling of theater room works great. Shouldn't effect your open cell in the attic.
mason
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 03:55 PM
Thanks for the good advice insul8. .5 inch of cellulose will not significantly affect the insulation in the attic and should provide the sound deadening you are looking for.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Aug 12, 2009 10:01 PM
iinsul8, is the sonaspray exposed, or above the sheetrock?

George
Dan Beecher
Posted: Aug 13, 2009 08:42 AM
It is sprayed to the room side of the sheetrock. Looks nice once done and at a half inch will achieve a .65 NRC. We've sprayed it to churchs, airport terminals, libraries....etc. Website is www.spray-on.com
jim gilkeson
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 02:43 PM
I would prefer to put something on the attic side of the ceiling. would this work using sonaspray?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Sep 06, 2009 10:27 AM
It would not, Sir. It is an interior applied material that absorbs internal sounds.

regards
Posted: Sep 06, 2009 09:44 PM
installing more insulation in the attic,,above the drywall ceiling,,, will afford you some (minimal) vibrational control (nrc) but do little for sound deadening/reduction (src),..
it is the nature of the rooms design and its finishings/furnishings that allow the sound to bounce around the room like ping pong balls,,,
do some casual reading on sounddeading for the home owner and you will some techniques with furnishings and floor coverings which should assist and not be unrealistic in cost....

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.