Q&A Forums

Sealing fire damage? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
quentin
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 09:26 AM
Sealing fire damage?
Mason,

yesterday my neighbor's house caught fire and has some pretty major damage but the actual structure seems to be OK still. Mostly it was the walls and ceiling and confined to one bedroom. I was wondering that if the actual structure is sound, would 2lb foam help seal out the smoke oder in areas it could still be applied and the wood is ok? It is public housing and that could save the county the costs of replacing a fair amount of stuff then.
mason
Posted: Oct 01, 2008 08:17 AM
I"m not sure that SPF would do the job. Yes, the foam would seal in odors where it was sprayed, but, I am sure there are places where the foam would not reach and actually could prevent the odors from eventually dissapating.

I would lean towards the conservative and go with a reputable company that specializes in fire damage remediation. I had a fire in a home that I owned in New Mexico and a local company came in and did a great job. No lingering odors after they did their thing.

I don't see any reason to try experimental things with SPF when there are cost effective procedures and techniques that insurance companies cover already.
Posted: Oct 04, 2008 09:17 AM
find someone in your area that can do soda blasting, it will do a good job on getting the wood clean and removing tthe smell. check it out on utube.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.