Q&A Forums

Salesmen Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Pat Shey
Posted: Mar 11, 2011 01:58 PM
Salesmen
Been in business three years. Doing everything from night janitor to sales. Would like to bring on a salesperson, preferably on a commission-only basis. How do I structure that? Typically, is there a draw against future commissions?
mason
Posted: Mar 11, 2011 02:05 PM
So many things to consider. A good salesperson is worth their weight in gold, a poor one can bankrupt a company. I would offer a salary plus commission based on net profits not gross sales. Make sure you have someone that is experienced in construction sales and can learn the SPF business.

PS. I also provide sales training.
Tim Wojnarski
Posted: Mar 14, 2011 10:01 AM
It depends on what you wnat him/her to do. If you are strictly looking for someone to sign work, then a comp package based on the GP of the job really isn't fair. You would need to consider a package based on gross sales, with you reviewing proposals before they go out the door. If you are looking for someone to take a job from cradle to grave, then a GP passed package would work. Either way, in order to get someone decent, you'll have to work out a salary and/or draw scenario to keep food on the table. Eventually, you could move them up to commission only, but not from the get go.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.