Q&A Forums

Rig sitting 2 years Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
ChrisIgna
Posted: Dec 27, 2011 10:18 AM
Rig sitting 2 years
I just purchased a rig that has been sitting for 2+ years. that was not cleaned before it was stored. before you ask yes I think i got it for a really fair price! But now the journey begins!!

What i know:
has had only 3 sets of closed cell run through the equipment.
stick pumps are in a barrel that is 1/3 full, the top 1"+/- of the wet cup? has hardened on the iso side.

the machine still reads 600 psi on both pressure gauges.

So the Question is how do i go about cleaning the iso side?
should I replace the heaters on the machine? only iso or both.
Is the hose 200' still okay to use?

Any and all comments are welcome.
This is not our first rig! we have been spraying foam for 4 years now, just always bought new so am looking for a little guidance.

Thanks
Posted: Dec 27, 2011 12:47 PM
You have your work cut out for you. First thing I would do is grab the hose in several places and bend it to see if you hear cracking inside the ISO side. If it does crack count on new hose. If it does not crack and pop you will still need to flush the ISO side. I would also start where the hose connects to the machine to see if you can pump anything through it. I found Kerosene to be best to flush with. If it goes through the machine you have a good start, you can the try to go through the hose. I have had to recirculate Kerosene through the system for hours to get all the crystallization out, but it can be done. If you need me to call you to help with the process I will.
steven argus
Posted: Dec 28, 2011 02:55 PM
Don't even bother trying to clean the Iso side. After 2 years of sitting, there will be brown rock candy every where. You will never get it all out. Save yourself the daily aggravation, replace everything on the Iso side.
Daniel X
Posted: Dec 29, 2011 09:12 PM
I agree.

I cannot stress this enough.

We have half a dozen rigs, it doesn't take years to get grit in your iso, a month will do it.

I wouldn't even bother putting a gun on the end of that hose yet.
chad harris
Posted: Feb 19, 2012 06:05 PM
Just buy new hose, it will save you alot of time and frustration, plus you will be able to get to spraying good foam without the headaches.
Posted: Feb 20, 2012 08:56 PM
If you have 600 psi on both gauges, you may luck out on the hoses. Crack the manifold and see if iso comes out. If not iso comes out, see all post above.

I bought an e-20 a few years ago, sat it up for two years with stick pumps in drums and cranked it up. Everything worked, had plenty problems to work out, but used it all the way to 2009.

You just never know! One good thing though, if you don't know how to work on your equipment, you soon will :)
mason
Posted: Feb 22, 2012 11:47 AM
ISO side is probably set up with crystals that will aggravate you to no end. Pumps might be ok, but heaters, screens, packings, seals, hoses, etc probably need replacing. Good advice not to pump good material in it. If you do try to use it, pump some TCP in the lines and let it set for a week. It might loosen the A side that has not set up completely. The TCP turns the A side into a jelly like material that might be able to be pumped out. But as the others suggested, more likely the whole A side of the equipment probably needs replacing.
painter213

www.specialty-products.com

Benny Abbott

Phone: 205-717-0292

NACE Level III #7953

SSPC PCS # 2014-529-139

SSPC CCI Level II #64351

Posted: Feb 22, 2012 10:41 PM
I just got back from Arkansas from working on one that had set up for a year. Installed new hoses, whip, TSU and A-side material supply hose and then took everything on the A-side of the pump and cleaned out rocks. Got it up and running and after running about 20 gallon of product thru it, had to clean out system again due to stuff coming loose. After that she sprayed sweet. Have Fun!!
ChrisIgna
Posted: Feb 23, 2012 11:17 AM
Thanks guys we are planning on replacing the hose and the heaters. Just been so busy have not gotten around to it. is it worth it to try and clean the hose out to use it as a back up. i don't know about everyone else but we are having a heck of a time with our hose ie the thermal coupler. not registering the proper temp.
steven argus
Posted: Feb 23, 2012 04:06 PM
Stop paying the big D for the jobpro program and put the money towards a new hose set. LOL

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.