Q&A Forums

is spray foam right for mobile home Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
chuck ritchie
Posted: Dec 24, 2011 12:17 AM
is spray foam right for mobile home
I'm going to redo the outside of my trailor and i have had roof issues in the past (which has been resolved) in which I have had water get inside my walls which i fear may compromise the old fibered wiring, which bring me to my many questions. Can spray foam be applied from the outside to the original interior paneling, if so is it worth it to have it done with the walls being only 1 1/2 inches thick, (I was already going to sheet and tyvec it before siding) also I was planning on redoing the wiring, however without having any current problems if I were to spray foam wouldn't that snuff out the oxygen and form a bond to where I would not have to worry about risk of fire? Also my trailor is 50x12 what would a resonable quote be (spray foam only of coarse) Thanks, Chuck
(
maurice richter
Posted: Dec 24, 2011 06:45 PM
Wife and I, with 2 kids used to live in a 12x50 mobile home! But my walls were about 3.5". I'm not a spray foam contractor, but hey, if you ARE taking the outer skin off, you could add some framing thickness to it. Our 100+ year old farmhouse, I am adding 1.5" (2x2) crosswise to the original studs. Make sure your walls are strong enough to NOT have the outer skin on (while sprayfoaming). Might be an issue in a windstorm. In our case, having my contractor spray from the outside required a "tent" to avoid wind overspray. Keep us updated!
David Pressler

Builder of Off Grid monolithic indestructible concrete structures with exterior foam ALSO Foam Domes.

Posted: Apr 10, 2012 10:19 AM
I have encapsulated a double wide with 3 lb closed cell foam on the EXTERIOR. This mobile is now super energy efficient and stronger next will be to take this mobile off the grid
see more at SafeDomes dot com
Anthony Scarpelli
Posted: Oct 15, 2012 08:07 PM
Closed cell foam is the perfect material for mobile homes in that you get not only vapor/wind/heat resistance or barriers in one but it has the added benefit of adding strength to the structure. FEMA accepts/requires rigid foam for hurricane resistance in some parts of the (gulf coast) country.

It is all a matter of preferences and what other benefits you can expect.

If it were my house and I was going to keep it a while I'd prefer to replace exterior studs- change to 2x4 exterior walls and then spray rigid foam in side which adds 250% strength as well as R20 for 3" insulation and makes a better all around more solid home.

my 2nd preference would be to encapsulating the exterior with 3 pound foam if you didn't mind that aesthetic.

My last choice would be the 2 lb interior of 1.5" is limiting you to about R8 or 10. While you are at it you could ad exterior 1 or 1.5" sheeting for another R8 and then have the traditional looking siding returned and still get nearly R18-20 wall with super wind/moisture blocking attributes.

Do not forget to spray 1-2" on the underside floor as well. This does not have to be done all at one time. You can budget to spray the underside one project; the walls another project and the roof yet another project.

It could cost more to do three projects than do it all at once but if you are paying with Christmas or end of year bonus or tax returns this way might give you some peace of mind.

If you find a foam contractor to work with and let him know you want to do this he can probably use each of your projects to fit in between his larger jobs and do on his schedule and then he might not have to premium charge you for three separate smaller jobs/trips.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.