Q&A Forums

residential pool inside Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
paul rogers
Posted: Aug 13, 2010 03:00 PM
residential pool inside
Mason
2000 sq ft pool room. block walls. (CMU)10 years old.
2X10 framing above pool. 4-4.5" OF CC already there. (some light green)
all drywall down. some light mold around skylights.(GC to clean and spray
8 skylights. condensation big time in January when temperature hit 8 degrees. open cavities next to skylight can be filled from the roof side.(GC opened up from the top) owner likes to keep pool at 90 degrees 100% of time in winter. near sauna conditions when you walk in the pool room, I am told,
GC insistes on having the studs filled, and planed flush.
then he would staple plastic up and cover with the purple drywall.
Mason, this would be 9.5" of foam. do we still need the plastic up there?
mason
Posted: Aug 13, 2010 04:17 PM
I agree with adding more foam, but 9.5 inches is overkill. A few comments:

The skylights will continue to have condensation issues. Do they have a plan for that?

Is there condensation against the wood studs? If so then they need to be insulated also. (You can add some board insulation and spray it in with the foam. That way they can still place the drywall against it.

The GC might also want to add some fans to help move the air around. It can reduce the amount of condensation.

What is above the swimming pool? Is it a wood deck. If so, then you would not need the plastic. But if it is metal then you would.

I presume the GC is using the plastic as a belt and suspenders idea along with the extra foam.
paul rogers
Posted: Aug 13, 2010 06:45 PM
GC plan is to spray foam in the 4" x 18" pockets on two sides of each the skylights.
I suggested they get rid of the skylights.
no condensation at the wood studs.
wood deck above the pool with felt paper & shingles.

An architect visited the house prior to my arrival and instructed the GC to fill the 2x10 the rest of the way with foam.
So the GC is firm on 100% full of foam.
Even with more foam, the skylights were the problem and will continue to be the problem.

Air movement. good idea.
would ceiling fans work?
There is a air handler on the house end of the pool.
Suggest the GC bring in a HVAC expert?
Posted: Aug 15, 2010 05:07 PM
...razor...
modeled this with 90 degree interior temp...100%humidity,,8 degrees out with 55% humidity...
program did not have shingles or felt paper...so i modeled with just osb@ 1/2"... 4" cc foam.. 5.5" airspace and 5/8 gypsum board...(no poly vb)...
it showed no potential for condensatin in this "wall cavity" (program looks at walls,,but joe stebrek and others says roofs are just walls turned a different direction...so what the heck)
your problem sounds like it is at the sky lites...spray em out and cove to full depth around the frameing...get as much foam out to 4-6 around the "winderbox" of the sky lights,,,the lights themself will still condensate,,they are the weak link here...
got a few indoor pool projects out there,,will call my hvac person who "cut no corners" on these projects ("how close to the edge of the cliff do you want to be dude" i remember him saying)and get the name of the "swamp cooler" dehumidification system he used..they are impressive...and spendy...
but 9.5 inches is overkill..but shoot,,sprayit,,the architect recommended it,,,lol...(shows the understanding of the performance of foam...)
dude
mason
Posted: Aug 16, 2010 10:33 AM
Yes, I would recommend bringing in HVAC engineer to evaluate the situation. Ventilation can always help evaporate water that condenses against the skylights (and it will condense). Ceiling fans or blowers can be installed directed at the area of condensation.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.