Q&A Forums

One Step Foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Bryan Kwater
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 09:53 AM
One Step Foam
Have you seen the One Step 255 foam from Preferred Solutions, Inc.? They claim that a thermal barrier or ignition barrier is not needed in most applications. They have an article in Spray Foam Magazine on page 62.

Is this for real and if so, do you see all manufacturers going this route?
mason
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 10:17 AM
I stopped by their booth at SF 2010 and talked to them about the foam. I asked them to send me copies of their room corner testing to find out if it can indeed be used as a exception for a thermal barrier. They did not test it as a thermal barrier in accordance with ASTM E 119 but did test it in one of the room corner tests (I think it was UL 1715). They said it costs around 80 cents a foot installed compared to a regular 2 lb density foam that goes for around 50 cents a foot. (again their numbers not mine).

I will post on this again when I have the data and can run it by my network of fire code experts.
Bryan Kwater
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 10:55 AM
Thanks Mason. This could be huge for the industry.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 09:55 PM
I believe 80 cents was material cost only, not installed cost.

George
Dan Beecher
Posted: Feb 22, 2010 10:04 PM
I stopped by their booth as well. I was told it was the UL fire test as well Mason. Heard some rumblings at spray foam that some ple had sprayed it but was a real bugger to spray with the "additives" that were in it. Was told cost was 80 cents for mat only, but if don't have to cover with urek or other would be worth it. Looks to good to be true at this point from my vantage point.
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 04:06 AM
indeed it is the ul 1715 test,,
only tested over their own closed cell foam...
so in multipass thicknesses you will have to use their cc foam as a base,,,

hey mason,,is the 1715 a "valid" fire study for exposed foam in todays world,,or will my local officials have on the ac377 blinders?
mason
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 07:50 AM
Yes, UL 1715 is specifically listed in the codes as a room corner test that may be used to evaluate assemblies that want an exemption to the thermal barrier rule.

They will forward the test results along with specific application criteria to the ICC Evaluation Services for their review. If they determine the design/application passes the test, then they will issue an evaluation report that addresses the conditions of acceptance.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 09:20 AM
Just got an e-mail response regarding the Step One 255. Their est. on pricing is about $.80/bf cost for material. The avg. yield is about 3,400bf/set and the shelf life is 2 months.
Posted: Mar 05, 2010 05:51 AM
got the testing and tech docs
in the hands of my local code officials...

reponse thus far is "i am forwarding the data to my other code officials for their interpetation"

will let you know how it goes,,,
mason
Posted: Mar 05, 2010 08:12 AM
foamdude,

Shoot me a copy also, I haven't received mine yet from John Stahl.
Roger Morrison
Posted: Mar 05, 2010 08:15 AM
The One Step 255 has been tested per UL 1715: One test was 8" on the ceiling; another test was 4" on the walls. The material has not been tested (to my awareness) on ceiling and walls simultaneously. The test data looks completely legitimate to me.

Roger

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.