Q&A Forums

New use idea Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
quentin
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 08:23 PM
New use idea
Who would be the best to contact about a different use for a foam product? I am thinking a canned type that would be like a 1/2 pound and most likely latex based. There is a reason for that but who would be best to talk to for it to be evaluated as marketable? It would be a different market than they are used to dealing with but it could be a very big product.
mason
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 07:37 AM
Quentin,

Are you talking about private labeling a single component foam for a uniquely different market or to actually manufacture the product?

You would contact a foam manufacturer who makes the product if you are wanting to private label a product for a new market. If your idea and business plan makes sense, many manufacturers will be interested. Be sure to obtain a confidentiality agreement before going in to details.

If you are wanting to manufacture yourself, contact the chemical companies who supply the raw materials. Present them with your idea and business plan and see if their technical department can assist. These folks will only be interested if your idea can generate several million dollars worth of sales.

Neither the foam manufacturer or the chemical company will assess the marketability of your idea. You would have to do that work on your own or hire a consultant to assist.
quentin
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 09:19 AM
Thanks! Looking at it, I might be able to check in to an existing product and see about talking to the manufacture about doing a private label on it or etc. The idea came about due to a problem I had and using one of their other products helped solve it fairly well. It is a simple idea that has been used in other applications on an industrial level but for some reason hasn't really been put out on a retail level for individuals.

Looks at competing ideas, the products should be very easily marketable and a good money maker for the company. Now if you have any contacts at Dow then maybe you and I should discuss this in private since it is their product I used and I would have no problems working with you on the idea with them and doing some kind of deal there. Heck, if it gets me the money to get my SFI business running then I would be very happy!

If you are interested, contact me at Durrstein@gmail.com

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.