Q&A Forums

New Proportioner Update Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Oct 05, 2011 10:10 PM
New Proportioner Update
Hi guys! I figured that I would give an update on my new proportioner. I purchases a Boss proportioner from Spray Foam Manufacturing in Calhoun, La. I chose the 6" air motor with a 30 cfm air compressor, 210' of hose and fusion AP with chambers ranging from an 2929 to a 7070.

I sprayed 4 sets of Gaco 2.8 using a 7070 the first two days side by side my Gama 250h. Never having sprayed a pneumatic machine before, I had no idea what to expect. The Boss was comparable to, if not better than the hydraulic driven Gama.

The following week, we sprayed 10 sets of Gaco Green 1/2 pound on several insulation projects that we had going in the same neighborhood with two identical spec houses side by side. The Boss held its own yet again compared to the Gama.

Final test today was spraying Versaflex 380 Arromatic Polyurea using a 2929 chamber. The Boss easily pressured up to 3000 psi with it's 160 cc pumps and once I pulled the trigger held static pressure at 2800 psi.

Now, I love my Gama that I paid $30k for before they quit selling my orange machine, buy that machine is designed for spraying large volume on a roof. Although we can easily set pressures at 2500 psi on poly and keep static pressure at 2200 psi with an 01 chamber, this Boss Pneumatic machine is pretty darn bad.

I can spray with a 7070 chamber with trigger pulled and virtually no loss of pressure at 1500 psi, or drop to an 01 chamber and spray poly (not a hybrid, but a true poly) at 3000 psi.

With all of this said, don't think that Graco and PMC are the only games in town. The Boss is a legitimate contender

Steve
jason vicebergs
Posted: Oct 10, 2011 07:16 PM
That's great to hear Steve, I love hearing about someone buying some thing other than Graco, and liking it. Please keep us updated on how it holds up.
thanks Vick
Circle-D
Posted: Nov 06, 2011 08:56 PM
Steve,
What made you try the Boss over the H-40? Was it just a pricing issue, design???

Skip
Posted: Nov 10, 2011 09:04 AM
Hi Skip

I was set to buy either a PMC or Graco H25 based on my needs and what I wanted to spend.. I knew about the guys in North La for a while and decided to take a ride while doing a Manufacturers inspection one day. I was impressed with a couple of things:

1) The machine was very simple to work on from top to bottom. I am a pretty technical guy, but most of my guys that spray cant troubleshoot issues other than being off ratio or gun issues. When it comes to the machines motherboards on either PMC or Graco, it takes a lot of work to figure out major problems.

2) The price for the Boss when it was all said and done was about $500.00 less than PMC and $500.00 more than the Graco H25, except that I was buying a machine capable of putting out 80 pounds of minute with a 160 cc pump.

3) Once I pulled the trigger on the machine, I was sold. Using an 03 chamber, I was able to spray a 1" pass with no problems onto a flat surface.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my Gama 250H. I was very aggravated when less than 3 months after I bought the machine, they quit selling. On top of that, several guys on this forum claimed to have had their Gamas (purchased before me) replaced with new PMC's.

Frank has been excellent there and has always helped me out, so I have no complaints about his service, only compliments.

Graco was what I was going to buy until I pulled the trigger on the Boss.

I can tell you that I have pulled the trigger on well over a truck load of foam so far and like the machine as well as 4-5 sets of Arromatic Polyurea.

They are in the final stages of designing a pneumatic coatings pump that they are going to send me in December to work with and give back feedback. This pump will have slightly more output than my Graco GH833 and run off of the same 30 cfm compressor that my Boss runs off of.

I can tell you now that if the prototype works and can spray silicone like my Graco, I will be making a purchase their also.

I like to see competition in the market place on the equipment that we use. It is most certainly healthy for all of us and if the technology is comparable or better, I am all for that.

I will keep you guys posted on the continued progress of my Boss as well as the new coatings pump that I will be getting in December.

Steve
Michael Flander
Posted: Nov 15, 2011 05:20 PM
I tried to find out some info on these pumps and am struggling, where did you find tech specs listing the machine as capable of 80 lbs a minute? Assuming 10 lbs to the gallon that means you can spray an entire set in 13 minutes?
Posted: Nov 15, 2011 07:36 PM
I am out the office tomorrow, but if you email me, I will send you the information from the owners manual on Thursday.

BTW, my gama sprays a set out in 20 minutes with an 04 chamber, 03 takes about 28-30 minutes wide open. I have never sprayed with anything larger than a 7070 with the Gama because it is to difficult to heat the material and keep a decent spray pattern at the same time.

A set in 20-30 minutes might seem like a lot to the wall foamers, but in reality on a roof, it is only 2500-3000 board feet.
Michael Flander
Posted: Nov 16, 2011 03:36 PM
I have seen it done in 20-30 minutes, especially with roof foams, but sub 15? That would be something to see!!!

I've seen sub 20 min for 2500 board ft. done robotically, but not by hand.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 28, 2011 04:11 PM
Glad to hear the good news on the Boss.

`G
Daniel X
Posted: Dec 19, 2011 12:29 AM
Do you roofing guys actually spray at dynamic pressures up and above 2000psi?

I spray around 1000psi, 01 Fusion AP, but I don't do roofing.

The technical guy from our supplier wants me spraying at 900psi, and he wants the heat so low that it's hard to work with... I think he is nuts.
Posted: Dec 19, 2011 05:19 AM
1200-1500 psi is my normal spraying pressure on a roof. I only go over 2000 psi when I am spraying polyurea.
Posted: Jan 29, 2018 02:45 AM
I have purchased a PMC ph25 and my buddy has a PMC phx40. We both love the PMC reactor and the count down counter is priceless I use 1500 strokes and he uses 2250. He have different size pumps. Plus the Graco P2 probler gun is the only gun I would ever buy. I have use the fusion, PMC and now probler. My old machine was a spray foam equipment 6/12000. Air drive.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.