Q&A Forums

New business advice Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Jeff Dean
Posted: Jan 17, 2013 11:42 AM
New business advice
I am seriously considering starting an SPF business. I am currently trying to determine demand, costs, and trying to get as familiar as possible with the product. I have spent countless hours online and have contacted several suppliers. I am meeting with NCFI next week to look at their 'rigs.' I'm sure I could customize for cheaper, but I need to get options. One of my biggest concerns is starting right. My work reflects on myself and I don't like shabby work. Is there any advice on how to get best familiar with the application process? I.E. training course, consultant, or just jump into. Of course, I'd take advantage of any training a supplier offers, but I wasn't sure if its enough. I also haven't seen any posts about what others think about NCFI. Any thought? They are the closest supplier to me.

I have learned a lot from the advice to others from this forum and it sounds like there are a lot of other people on here that care about their product...Thanks
mason
Posted: Jan 18, 2013 03:44 PM
I can say that NCFI has a good track record of customer service and has knowledgeable staff that can provide good training. In addition consider taking SPFA certification courses, now available at their annual conference. It takes a while to get the hang of spraying foam efficiently and cost effectively.

I would recommend an onsite training session with a qualified instructor after you receive your company training.

Also check out some of my articles on foam applications at masonknowles.com.

Give me a call to discuss further on tips that might keep you out of trouble. 571-239-5221

Remember that the market can be saturated in some areas and the prices depressed. If this is the only way you are making money, you need to have some serious bucks behind you to set up a successful sprayfoam business.

For a typical residential applicator I would like to have at least $200k for start-up costs that don't get you in a bind if you lose it.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.