Q&A Forums

Need help again, shallow sewer. Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Jesse Luetzen
Posted: Jun 01, 2015 12:27 PM
Need help again, shallow sewer.
We installed a sewer and water system here in ND. The problem is the city sewer at the end of this leg is only 5' down. Through the length of the run I get to about 4' down. I assembled and sprayed the bottom of the sewer pipe before install to 3". After install and setting slope we topcoated the same. The city won't let me bury until I prove documentation or show an approval from another municipality. The water line I kept in the same trench at 8' down. Jesse 701-852-7664
mason
Posted: Jun 02, 2015 02:53 PM
What are they fearful of? What kind of documentation are they seeking? If they want to know if the foam degrades underground then there are studies by Dupont back in the 60s that demonstrate it. Email me and I will send a copy of the report.
Jesse Luetzen
Posted: Jun 15, 2015 12:04 PM
It's not about degrading, its about frost and freezing. At 4' down they want me to put down 3" of ridged foam boards above it 7' wide. Frost doesn't really travel horizontally its more vertically. They are totally disregarding the fact that the sewer is completely insulated. They want reassurance the sewer wont freeze. The sewer main is uninsulated 5' down, there is no way my stub would fail first. My email is Detailedby@yahoo.com.
mason
Posted: Jun 16, 2015 11:20 PM
I would agree that 4 ft down with 3-4 inches of foam surrounding the pipe that it would not freeze. There is some research done by the Canadians on insulating basement foundations with foam on the outside at that depth below ground and more. I will look for the articles on it and send you a copy. It is the closest thing I can think of at this time that would relate to your situation.

I am out of town this week until Friday, but will look for it when I return.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.