Q&A Forums

Moisture Drive Concern... Disregard the last post,error !! Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
erik williams
Posted: May 18, 2008 08:13 AM
Moisture Drive Concern... Disregard the last post,error !!
I will be installing "Hardy Board" siding on a house in central florida on the west coast.
What I want to do is;
-Remove the existing wood siding, dry-in paper and exterior sheathing.
-Spray directly to the plaster wall
-Then install new exterior sheathing, dry in and Hardy Board siding.
Will this work? My concern is condensation between the foam and the Hardiboard siding...
mason
Posted: May 18, 2008 06:45 PM
Is the foam being installed to the interior or the exterior? So long as there is a drainage plan where condensation can drain to the exterior and not to the interior of the building, you are ok.
erik williams
Posted: May 18, 2008 08:12 PM
Mason,
I plan on spraying the exterior side of the interior plaster walls once I remove the siding and exterior sheathing... with 2 inches of 2lb closed cell.
The home sits approx 2 feet above the ground and all of the framing is wood.
Is it safe to say that condensation if any would drain to the ground, without having a negative effect on the 2x4 wall joists and or exterior sheathing?? Or should I coat the exterior side of the spf, encapsulating the 2x4's prior to install of the exterior plywood sheathing. I assume that the 1.5 inches of space between the spf and the inside of the new plywood sheathing would be sufficiant room for the condensation to evacuate
Thanks
mason
Posted: May 19, 2008 04:59 PM
The foam is moisture resistant and does not require a coating to repell water but there should be a way for any water from the outside that gets in the cavity to drain. (either from leaks or condensation).

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.