Q&A Forums

mobile home floor Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
john white
Posted: Aug 15, 2011 04:21 PM
mobile home floor
Hello all, I am setting up an older mobile home to rent out. I will have to replace all of the insulation below the floor, so I was just wondering if anyone has any experience using foam on a mobile home in place of the standard insulation that they normally use on mobile homes?I know it will cost a bit more, but Id prefer to use the foam if I can instead of having to replace the roll insulation after a few years. It may also help the tennant's electricity bill.

This is louisiana, so its very hot. Should I look into using closed or open cell. also, how many inches should I spray? Also, the mobile home pad is built up about 12 inches above the rest of the property, so water should not be able to poll underneath the mobile home.
mason
Posted: Aug 15, 2011 04:56 PM
Yes, I have sprayed many a floor of a mobile home. .

I typically spray the under side of the floor from the outside. For this application, closed cell foam will provide the best combination of benefits.

The foam strengthens the floor, protects against insects and varmints, adds much more insulation R value per inch than fiberglass and helps keep water out of the house
john white
Posted: Aug 15, 2011 05:15 PM
I was looking around in some of the mobile home forums and they say you should not spray foam. It looks like their reasoning is due to airflow from the ducts keeping the pipes warm during the winter.

I plan on insulating the piping and also, we dont have much winter here in LA.

how thick should I go with the closed cell?

whats your thoughts on any water leaks? wouldnt the closed cell keep the water in the wood instead of letting it wick out like a open cell would?
Circle-D
Posted: Aug 17, 2011 09:22 PM
We spray the mobile homes here in Maine with 2"-3" of closed cell on the underside of the floor as Mason indicates. All the piping is generally run right down the center along with the main heating trunk line. Build a 3 sided box out of foam board around the ductwork and piping. Put it up against the underside of the floor and glue her there with the sprayfoam.The duct work will keep the piping warm. Works at -30 degrees, bet it will work in LA. too. As far as water leaks go, fix the plumbing first.
chad harris
Posted: Sep 04, 2011 02:50 PM
No less than 1.5'', no more than 2'', unless of coarse they just want more. Closed-cell, Always! These are good for your area.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.