Q&A Forums

metal building Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
arlene hayes
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 01:12 AM
metal building
I have a large metal building that I 'm using for a studio and living space. It is cold in the winter and hot in the summer. There is insulation in place, white plastic wrapped fiberglass., not very thick. Can you spray on top of the insulation or is it better to remove it? Of course I want to do the cheapest possible thing but want solid results for the future. The space between the metal beams on the ceiling look to be about 6 feet across. How do I know if the weight of the foam will be to much for the frame of the building? Should I have the building rewired before insulating? As you see I am a painter and not in construction. thanks arlene
mason
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 07:37 AM
Sprayfoam works very well in metal buildings, Yes, remove the old insulation first. Sprayfoam is very light and easily is supported by the metal framework. In fact the 2lb foam will structurally enhance the building. Be sure to put a thermal barrier over the foam.

SPFA has a metal building insulation guideline online at sprayfoam.org It is AY 134. You should be able to download at no charge for a limited time only.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.