Q&A Forums

Mask/resiparator Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Gary Galloway
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 03:55 PM
Mask/resiparator
Does anyone know of a full face mask oe hood with filter cartridges that is compatible with normal eyeglasses ???
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 06:07 PM
i can don/doff a 3m 6900 full face with eye glasses on...it sure takes more "concentration" than when donning without,,but it can be done...
most any hood should work as they are usually suspended by a headband suspension...
keep the trigger pulled..
quentin
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 02:12 PM
I use an old gas mask from my days in the Marines and the glasses that are for it. Well, I have used it on the jobs I visited. You may be able to find a setup like that cheap at a surplus store and any optical shop can get you the lens for the special glasses. Or try contact like I plan on using.
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 01:48 PM
We carry Allegro Fresh Air Systems, and they have an adapter kit for glasses on their full face mask. I am not aware of one for North Full Face Respirator, which takes cartridges. North is what we carry for cartridge style respirators, that should only be used in roofing applications, not insulation, unless you are changing the cartridges everyday $$, and if you are I need to sell you a fresh air system to save you some money.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 07:23 PM
3M L-501 papr is the best in my opinion. But there are others..

Have fun,

oG
Gary Galloway
Posted: Dec 18, 2007 12:33 AM
I would like a fresh air system if I could find one that could tee into my gun purge air. I do not want to be dragging another hose around the hoses attached to the gun are enough.
Gary Galloway
Posted: Dec 18, 2007 12:37 AM
Thanks Olger this may just be what I am looking for The only issue I see with the 3M is the cartridges seem a little pricey but that seems to the the rule for amything with the 3M name on it.
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Dec 18, 2007 01:47 PM
That certainly is a good concern dragging around more hose, but you NEED fresh air. Check out www.allegrosafety.com PN: 9872 its a suitcase style filtration panel that runs off the compressor, requires a lot of cfm and continuous run, but more portable than ambient pumps. Otherwise, I would suggest a half-mask and Advanz Goggles, because you may have to get lenses made for the full face mask to assure it fits tight.
Dave Strnad
Posted: Dec 18, 2007 06:39 PM
I think the PAPR would be a good choice. I have a fresh air system and a bunch of full face cartridge respirators. I only use the fresh air if it is extremely hot or if I am in a confined space. The fresh air system sounds good theory but as far as real life it is a pain. If you leave the hose seperate it gets tangled, kinked, etc. If you bind it with your spray hoses you have to take your mask off to go into and out of the building, move things around, etc kinda defeats the purpose. I am going to buy a papr next, but for now the full face respirators work great, just replace your cartridges daily. If you buy them right they are pretty cheap. NOt to start an arguement here, but DO NOT wear a half mask and googles to spray foam. You might as well not wear anything on your eyes. It is the vapors that get you so wear a fullface respirator. This comes from first hand experiance and unless you want the halo effect all the time you need to wear fullface.
Gary Galloway
Posted: Dec 18, 2007 08:26 PM
Sprayfoam Goddess,

You talk like a sales person not someone that has sprayed foam. If I don't want the hose what makes you think I want to drag around a suitecase sized filter system. Get with the program and give us solutions that make our work easier not things that are expensive and un-workable.
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Dec 18, 2007 09:39 PM
I second the need for a full face mask type respirator. The PAPR systems are very nice. You carry around your own air filtering/supply system on a belt on your waist. This eliminates the hose and allows fresh breathing air. Nothing is more aggravating than dragging hoses around and kinking your breathing hose while you are crammed in an attic or crawlspace.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Gary Galloway
Posted: Dec 18, 2007 11:58 PM
After seeing what has been posted here I am looking at a 3M PAPR system with the L-901 helmet as it has a better air quality rating than the L-501 but is very similar. Where would everyone recommend buying these 3M mask/respirators as they are rather expensive from what I can see looking at online safety and supply companies.
Dave Strnad
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 09:15 AM
I would go somewhere and try one on first. Personally I dislike the helmets/hoods. They are cumbersome to me especially when trying to spray a lid in a 4/12 house. Everyone has their own preference though, and I know you are worried about your glasses. I believe most of 3m products have eveglass holders, so just have a cheap pair made up to fit, or wear contacts if you can. It may be the best choice for you so try Grainger, locally they stock a lot of this and might have one to try on. There are also quite a few saftey stores around, your best pricing will be online though.
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 08:30 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. I am a salesperson, and I have and do spray foam. I do know that I could barely breath in the hot full-face mask I was in, and I prefer fresh air, not only fresh air, but cool fresh air with a hood, that it my preference.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Dec 24, 2007 12:43 AM
Hi Gary,

I use a 3m breathe easy PAPR with a hood. My employee, Chris uses a 3m breathe easy PAPR with the L-901 helmet. I found the helmet to be heavy and bulky, I prefer the hood. Chris likes the helmet especially when climbing up in the rafters as he bumps his head alot. Tearoffs are expensive, 90 cents a piece. I use advance lens covers with the hoods, but they don't fit the helmet very well. If you do get the helmet, be sure to get an extra 10 pack of the hard plastic lenses. You are surely to forget to put a tearoff on sometime and don't want to be shut down without protection. Call me if you have any questions.

George
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 26, 2007 08:20 PM
Right on about the spare lenses, Geo.

Lifting the 501/901 face mask is a quick way to open yourself up to the world. Pull it down and pull the trigger.

Dylan sprays release agent on his tear-offs and claims to get a day's worth of spraying out of them.

Kid's smarter'n his dad sometimes :).

oG
Posted: Jan 05, 2008 09:46 PM
I find seeing a real problem. I do like fresh air hoods but the tear off situation sucks. must be a better tear off system out there/. I got the roll up thingies too but they dont work well,right george.?

Brent
Circle-D
Posted: Jan 05, 2008 09:52 PM
try the ultra clear bags from GT Bag Co. I first heard of them on this forum. I pull one over my fresh air hood. It gets a little spatter on it just wipe it off with your glove. It gets a little hazy after a while then you give it a spin to a new, clean spot on the bag. Spray all day with one or two bags @ 20 cents each. Skip
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jan 05, 2008 10:27 PM
I wish that there was something better for tearoffs. The roll up thingies, advanz goggles are my weapon of choice. One will last all day and there is nothing to carry around. You need to make sure that before you roll it, you pull off any large fallout so that you don't roll it up.

George
Brian Ahrens
Posted: Jan 06, 2008 05:39 PM
Listen to circle-d we have used these ultra clear bags for over 2 years now. When oneside gets hazy just spin the bag. WE ORDERED FROM GT BAG WWW.GT BAG.COM 1-800-735-3950 ITEM # P5BG15X22+4 POLY PRO 1.4 MIL BOTTOM GUSSET
They are ultra clear!!!!!
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Jan 22, 2008 09:22 PM
Does anyone use the 3m GVP model PAPR? If so how do you like it, which flavor filter do you use and what is the change interval on them?

Thanks, Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
clint moore
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 01:48 PM
We sell Allegro systems as well,I hate them,lets be honest,dragging around that hose bites.Back in the day when I was in the field guys wouldn't even have a mask on not knowing the health risk they were taking.I myself did some pretty stupid stuff trying to get the job done and in turn had chemical pneumonia at least 3 or 4 times. I found a mask that I loved to wear,it was roomy,did not constrict me from doing my job and kept air flowing to my face.
I want to say it was a 3M full face PAPR,it had a blower motor and filter system on the face mask and a wire that ran to a battery that hung on my belt.I don't recall the model # but maybe someone does know of it. As far as room for glasses,it sure seem to have enough room but I did not wear glasses back then like I do now.
Michael Flander
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 05:18 PM
As far as I know, there is not a cartridge out there that has a stamped approval for use with isocyanates, in particalur, MDI.

I have been looking, so if I am wrong let me know. After discussing this with a 3M rep I was working with last week, he stated the problem with approval for MDI wasn't whether the cartridge would work or not, it was that there was no way to know when it was not effective anymore. This includes there PAPR, which is simply a portable positive pressure system that works of the same filters....

So the next obvious question would be if OSHA requires a respirator system that has specific chemical approval. This would make an outside fresh air supply system a must...

I'm not saying to not use cartridge systems, but if you are using a cartridge/filter system including the 3M PAPR around Iso, make sure to change your cartridges frequently. Do not wait for the smell or other typical cartridge failure symptom to show up before changing.
Dave Strnad
Posted: Jan 23, 2008 10:25 PM
Any organic vapour/acid gas cartridge will provide you with protection, but they should be replaced after 8 hours or so regardless of whether they seem like it needs to be. MDI is in many products and there are many safe options out there. I have seen quite a few documents out there stating so, but they do all stress changing the cartridge. This should be common practice no matter what you spray. Even with other chemicals if you wait untill you smell it, you have already been inhaling unsafe levels for awhile. Just search for MDI respirators and you will get all kinds of info. Including change out scheduals, etc.
Chad Gritzmaker
Posted: Jan 24, 2008 07:18 PM
I looked into the 3m papr equipment, before I purchased Air Systems International filtration panel and co monitor (works excellent, but a little pricey). My concern was the change interval on the High dollar filter the papr unit uses. Has anybody used one of 3m's ISO exposure tags, they are used to determine the filters life span.

Chad
SPFer
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 07:33 PM
How often do you need to change the filters on the 3M papr's?
Posted: Sep 27, 2009 02:03 PM
Does anyone know if the L501 helmet will work with the ultra clear plastic bags everyone is using?

I have a ton of the bags, and have grown to love them, they don't seem like they would fit over the helmet, anyone know for sure?

Thanks, Tim

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.