Q&A Forums

Making it stick? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
bobby pratt
Posted: Jan 01, 2008 02:02 PM
Making it stick?
I am having a problem making 1.7lb stick to new sheet metal duct. Surface temp was in the 50s and dry. Material temp was tried at 120 and up to 140. It seemed to stick at first but after about 10 min I started hearing that snap,crackel,pop and could pull a whole section off with 2 fingers. Tried a flash coat but that didnt help either. Should I use some type primer first? Thanks for all your help.
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Jan 01, 2008 09:38 PM
What foam are you using? I have yet to find a substrate besides plastic that the foam we use won't stick to. I have applied to many different metal surfaces with the same result. If you leave it for an hour or more can it still be easily pulled off?

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jan 06, 2008 08:52 PM
:)

Galvanized metal comes from the factory with an oil film on the surface.

Wash with 30% white vinegar, 70% water to remove oil film.

Foam.
Leave.
Send them an invoice.
Do over as needed.

oG
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Jan 06, 2008 09:00 PM
Olger,

Do you consider this to be an issue the GC needs to deal with and would likely be re-billed for your service. Or is the metal prep something you take care of, and if you have to fix the problem down the road you eat the costs?

Thanks, Tim
bobby pratt
Posted: Jan 07, 2008 06:41 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Ill be back on the job this week and will do a vinegar wash. Im almost certain the oil film was the problem. One other question. While spraying a block foundation (inside the crawl space) I noticed that the foam stuck really good at the top of the block wall but tried to come loose at the bottom. It was raining that day and Im thinking moisture was wicking up the block causing it. Am I on track with this?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jan 07, 2008 11:15 AM
yep
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jan 07, 2008 11:16 AM
I don't care who does it Tim, as long as it gets accomplished. Steam cleaning will work as well.

Thanks,

oG
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Jan 07, 2008 07:47 PM
Olger,

You said:

-foam it
-invoice
-leave
-do over if needed (or something like that)

I understood that to mean you anticipated coming back for a repair or touch-up. Do you charge for that touch up? In other words whose fault is it if it doesn't stick?

Tim
Arville Brown
Posted: Jan 07, 2008 10:18 PM
why not do the job right the first time around.Doing bad work will catch up with you.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 08:38 PM
Somebody misunderstood something somewhere...

"do over" means get another job and do that one too. No problems after proper preperation.

foam it,

oG
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 09:05 PM
My mistake Olger...foam on!

Tim

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.