Q&A Forums

Looking for on-line educational information. Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 03:32 PM
Looking for on-line educational information.
Hello. I've spent the last month or so researching what it would take to start up a SPF business here in Northern MN. I feel that I've found all the information that the search engines can provide.

A little background. I'm actually employed in the medical field. I've got some background in construction. I've assisted my uncle and father in building 3 houses. I built a house this summer on my own. I've owned rentals and remodeled them as well as my brother's rentals.

I had spray foam put in the new house last weekend. After all the research and actually seeing the foam installed. I really believe this is a quality profession that can bring me the money and free time I am looking for.

Does anyone know of any on-line classes, programs, or info that I may find helpful. Also are they any people that you would recommend I speak to here in the tri-state area?

Also after reading my remarks, do I have the wrong idea of owning/running a SPF business? What promted you guys to get into this? Did it deliver what you were looking for?

Thanks for your help in advance.
philip mullins
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 02:38 PM
free time? what is that? sounds kinda familiar, like something from my childhood,lol.

training usualy comes from your foam supplier. when choosing a supplier thier training and service should be the most important thing.imho
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 10:59 PM
I was in northern min last month. It's actually out of our area but there isn't many installers up there. A lot of potential in your area I think.

In this business the money is hard earned and there is no spare time. I got into this because I thought I could make money, and I have. I thought I could get my machine paid for after a dozen houses but, it doesn't work that way. There are many expenses.
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 07:54 AM
Is there no free time because you guys are taking jobs? If you own you own SPF business can you not dictate your own schedule?

I'm not interested in taking a leisurely summer life during the prime building months. I see myself busting my hump April - August. Then it's hunting season. A job here and there, but nothing hard core until December again.

Is that the wrong way to look at it? Is that not feasible? Thanks for the responses.
philip mullins
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 11:01 AM
building a buisness, any buisness, is hard work. if you pay the 50-75 thousand dollars for your rig in cash,and dont have any other bills, you might can get away with that sort of buisness plan. but dont turn down work cause you dont feel like doing it. then expect thier to be a job waiting on you when you want to make a little money.

it takes a little effort just to bid a spray job. and you may get 1 out of 20 you bid. you gotta market ur product. you gotta maintane ur equipment. you gotta do a lot of work, just to be able to go to work.

for what ur looking for, try one of those get rich quick videos they sell on late nite tv.
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 11:25 PM
I have a few schools. Are you willing to travel? Some people will come to you, you have to be willing to pay for hotel, food, etc.
If you are interested I can make a few suggestions?
Huey Reed
Posted: Sep 29, 2007 02:12 PM
Dude! You are going to become self-employed, what the hell is free time??? If you are not willing to dedictate yourself to success 24/7 keep your job. Hell, I have nightmares about foam!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.