Q&A Forums

heaters Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
philip mullins
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 05:29 PM
heaters
i was looking at the a5 guardian and see that they have 2 units. the 6000 and the 12000. i am wondering at what temp the 6000 watt heater would no longer be sufficient. and how much harder your working your heater by not having the 12000 watt unit. tx in advance
mason
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 07:41 AM
This is a question best answered by Glasscraft's technical staff. Each unit is designed for specific temperature ranges and flow rates based on what type of material is being sprayed. Sprayfoam applications typically do not require the higher temperatures of some plural component coatings like polyureas. Ask their opinion of what is required for your sprayfoam system, applications and climate.

Having made that caveat, there are a few important factors to consider when sizing a preheater for your proportioner and application.
1. Maximum output of your proportioner
2. Type of job you are spraying, For example, residential applications have a lot of stop and go spraying and give the preheater time to catch up. But if you are spraying large walls or ceiling areas without stopping, (such as a cold storage warehouse or roofing project), the preheater may not have enough heating potential to keep up with the machine at its rated output.
2. Temperature required for your sprayfoam to mix properly
3. Delta T at the maximum flow rate of the heater. How much can the preheater increase the temperature at a given flow rate? Lets say the preheater can increase temperatures 30 degrees at 20 lbs per minute. That would mean at full throttle, the preheater could increase 90 degrees F to 120 degrees F. But as stated before, few units operate at full output so that needs to be taken into consideration.
4. Electrical requirements of the preheater

In the case of the A5, the 6000 watt heater is matched to a maximum 20 lbs per minute pumping capacity. I would think this would be sufficient for most climates in the US unless the sprayfoam system required extremely high processing temperatures. The A5 with the 6000 watt heater requires 50 amp, 220 volt, single phase electrical power, which can be easily achieved with onsite power or a generator. However, when going to the 12000 watt heater, you require 85 amp, 220 volt single phase power which may not allow you to use onsite power as easily and would require a larger generator.

Just like sizing the HVAC units, your preheater should match your requirements, bigger is not neccesarily better.
philip mullins
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 02:49 PM
a lot of good info there. thanks bud. its just like i figured. i coulda saved a few thousand crispy chicken sandwiches if i had just been smarter. dang, now i'm hungry!
philip mullins
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 11:28 AM
just fyi

i called glascraft and thier tech told me that it is hard to put a number on it due to varying flow rates. but, on average, an a5-6000 should heat 35-45 degrees. so if ur looking to put together a residential spray rig on a budget you can stay 1-phase 50 amp. depending on your climate, and ur needs.
mason
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 03:14 PM
Good information to know. I have found that the equipment manufacturers typically have good tech reps and can really help you with matching your equipment to your application. I should know, I worked with many of them.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 06:11 PM
Troutkiller,

I tried emailing you, but it came back undeliverable. Email me, I have a lead for you.

George
info@freedomfoam.com

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.