Q&A Forums

Infrared Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Terrance Harris
Posted: Dec 05, 2008 07:50 PM
Infrared
Mason: I'm new to the site and in the Houston area. Actually, your brother Paul Jr. and myself sprayed the bottom of your Mother's house that you referenced in this forum. We primarily do commercial work but I would like to know more about the infrared procedures done on residential. Who does it? What do the results tell you? What does it cost? Terry H.
mason
Posted: Dec 06, 2008 08:47 AM
Good to hear from you Terry, hope business is good. For those who don't know, Terry & I worked together in the early 70s for my father insulating cold storage facilities, commercial buildings among other SPF projects.

Depending on the size of the project, infrared scans range significantly in costs, from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand. An infrared scan can be used in a number of ways.
1. To demonstrate to a prospective client where in a building they are losing energy efficiency, (doors, windows, cracks in sheathing, penetrations, etc)
2 To show where to spray foam to air seal and insulate a building effectively
3. As a quality control measure to document that you have sealed and insulated the building properly.

Many insulation and air barrier contractors purchase their own and use it to not only sell jobs but to provide energy audits for a building owner. I believe the costs of the cameras range between 10 to 25 k.

I would appreciate some feedback from readers on the value of purchasing an infrared camera. Did you think it was worth it? Do you use it often?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 06, 2008 10:58 PM
We have a thermal camera, and like it. It's helpful on roofs as well as walls. Costly, but worth it.
SPFer
Posted: Dec 19, 2008 04:00 PM
I have been wanting to get one for years. Not sure how much we would use it for work, but it sure would be helpful during deer season.
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 11:52 PM
Cheater!
Bill Fabian
Posted: Feb 03, 2009 08:13 AM
Infrared cameras have all but eliminated the need to be drilling holes in walls to see if there is any insulation in the wall. Once you understand the conditions needed, infrared cameras can be used to evaluate a property to determine what energy efficiency measures need to be performed, and also used on a post-inspection to ensure that the measures taken were effective. In the last year alone, the price on cameras has dropped dramatically. Good infrared cameras for building diagnostics start at under $5,000.00. Training is a critical part of a successful program. Being able to take the picture is the first step. The ability to interpret what the camera is seeing is key. If I can be of any assistance in camera sales or training, do not hesitate to contact me. Bill Fabian, Monroe Infrared Technology, 586-247-0221. billf@monroeinfrared.com

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.