Q&A Forums

In floor radiant heat system and SPF foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 11:28 AM
In floor radiant heat system and SPF foam
What is the code on spraying 2.0lb foam onto/over in floor radiant heat between floor joists? I'm in Colorado.
SPFer
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 08:38 AM
Not sure if there is a code on this, but what we generally do is staple up the thin reflective insulation rolls under the radiant and spray onto the reflective stuff. You want to leave an air gap between the tubing and the insulation. Some of the radiant heat tracking is made to be able to spray over, but I would be afraid of "streaking", where the floor directly above the track is heated, but between the tracks is cold.
Posted: Nov 01, 2009 06:07 AM
...as long as the ceiling below will be covered with a thermal barrier (rocked)you can spray which ever(foam) to what ever(substrate)at any depth.....
round here the hvac contractor who laid the tubeing creates the plenum/air space,,,it a part of his mechanical system (and should be part of his bid)and needs to be there foam or no foam to be efficient,,,
i prefer to use oc for this as it allows a bit more "artistic creativity" in creating the envelope around all the other mechanicals/ducts and schtuff frequently in the joists space,,and i can do it for less $$$...
tubeing,,,2" airspace,,,thermopan...3-4" oc foam...r13 batt over...rock....burma shave....

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.