Q&A Forums

Cleaning system and storing over winter Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 03:38 PM
Cleaning system and storing over winter
We've been spraying both 2# foam and polyurea out of our H20/35 pro and are ready to shut her down for a month or so. What is the best fluid to use to purge/clean the lines and what is the best fluid to store in the lines once purged?
Linerman
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 07:52 PM
diesel then DOP(dioctylphthalate)
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 08:48 PM
If it is only a month to six weeks, why even bother? I have never had any issues from letting my unit sit for 4-5 weeks at a time. If it is going to be more than that, just recirc the iso for 15 minutes and shut it down again.

George
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 12:46 AM
So you would just leave your transfer pumps in whatever drums you have for a few weeks and then recirc?
clint moore
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 01:03 PM
Leave your transfer pumps in the drums or in a 5 gal. bucket with DOP,enough so that the foot in submerged. If you leave them out the material will harden. Make sure that your proportioner is parked or pumps sealed and your hose is sealed by closing the fluid valves or capping them off.
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 03:28 PM
If I store the pump feet in DOP, should that DOP be sealed up? I've taken some 3" schedule PVC and made storage bins for the pumps. I could put a half gallon in each side to take care of the feet but I'm wondering if I should use plastic and tape to seal off the top of the PVC???

Also, Any recommendation on fluid for inside the lines? I guess as long as it's pressurized Iso and Poly will be fine but I hate to take any chances. Last year I used diesel fuel and didn't have any problems in the A side. I think I used Hydraulic fluid in the B.
Linerman
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 07:23 PM
I don't think you should have to worry about covering the tops if your pump is submerged in DOP.

You could just leave all your pumps in the drums sealed and recirc the material once a week or so. But if you just want to shut down and not worry about it, I would flush the lines with diesel then follow with DOP. Maybe after flushing wouldn't be a bad idea to put your A feed pump in DOP.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 09:35 PM
Make sure the top "wet cup" on the drum pump is submerged in DOP or in the ISO drum. A partial drum of ISO is going to get some crystals on top. Keep this in mind when you empty it and check your inlet Y filter.

George

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.