Q&A Forums

Home remodeling-equipment options Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Pete Olesen
Posted: Feb 08, 2007 11:40 PM
Home remodeling-equipment options
I have been doing some research on spray foam insulation and by all accounts, it is a better way to insulate.

I currently live in a house in Boulder, CO that is a typical 60's 3Br rambler of approximately 2,000 sq foot. The attic has the A/C and ductwork installed and not much cellulose(6-7 inches). We have been working on renovation and I would like to close in the attic and crawl space.

My inlaws also have a single story house in Boulder (approximately 2800 sq ft) of the same vintage that we are renovating. I think it makes sense to give it the same insulation treatment.

We are doing virtually all of the work ourselves including framing, electrical, hanging drywall, hardwood, etc.

On top of all of this, I am pondering getting into the home renovation, rental and/or sale business.

On my inlaw's house, we tried one of the DIY kits (Tiger I think)in walls with R-13 fiberglass on top and it worked well.

I don't really want to get into the insulation business per se, so at this stage of the game, I doesn't make sense to invest $30K in a trailer and equipment.

I need some advise from the experts who have gone down the foam insulation business path. How steep is the learning curve, are their equipment options that are smaller and more affordable, since I am not going to spray 5 houses a week. I am willing to take a class to learn the ropes and/or work with a local contractor for free to learn the process.

I should probably contract it out, but I have this genetic defect that makes me think I can do anything. I at least want to know how high the cliff is before I jump off it.

Thanks in advance.
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Feb 09, 2007 09:58 PM
Equipment that I know of, starts at $10,000 minimum. You should have help to get it going, their is a lot to learn.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.