Q&A Forums

Gusmer D gun leaking Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
dan pruglo
Posted: Apr 03, 2011 01:43 PM
Gusmer D gun leaking
Hey does anyone know anything about a gusmer d gun, i bought it used had some crystal inside cleaned it bought all new seals, including check valves and screen and felt wiper.
The gun shoots good but leaks where the felt wiper is at, i changed the felt wiper and soaked it in acetone still leaks tried lossening it and tightenig it still leaks and foams up in that area. i have went through 3 felt wipers have 2 new ones left. I have read the manual page to page still cant figure it out. will a little grease help?

when i take the felt wiper off, in the mixing chamber is a brass little seal, is there suppose to be any other seal?

P.S please dont tell me to buy a new gun i cant afford that so need to fix this.
Posted: Apr 03, 2011 03:34 PM
what is the status of the chamber???
did you put in a new one or is this a cleaned up one...
if you are makeing foam at the felt wiper it sounds like the rear packing could be shot...as you are obviously loosing both components out the back as well as the having it spray out the front,,
you used to be able to get packings for chambers,,,dont do it,,lol,,i might even have a few layin around...rofl,,,(at myself,,ok?)
or,,,now this might be mr obvious but,,do you have the right rod in for the chamber???if it is to small a rod,,burma shave,,fluid out the back,,,but you would be weeping at trigger off as well at the nose piece,,,and you should have noticed that already as well,,,right???
Daniel X
Posted: Apr 03, 2011 04:11 PM
The felt wiper is there to hold a bit of solvent and keep your valving rod from getting sticky as you packing wears... it doesn't do much in the way of sealing...

Do you use an open ended 5/16" wrench to tighten the felt wiper retainer against the packing in the mixing chamber, and trigger it a few times without your chemical valves opened?

The packing is replaceable, but you could have a scratch on your valving rod (unlikely but possible)...

I used to love my d-gun, and didn't like air purge at first, but now I can't say anything bad about my Fusion, I neglect it on purpose just to see how it fairs... the d-gun feels quite uncomfortable now that I'm used to the fusion.

I know you don't want to hear this, but the reason we had to leave the d-gun was because of parts availability... the Fusion has better check-valve design, and screens on both A & B...
dan pruglo
Posted: Apr 03, 2011 05:08 PM
The chamber I cleaned and the rod, the rod doesn't look scratched, is there a way to find rear paking for the chamber?
I'm guessing graco don't sell the rear pakings, how do I check an see what kind of chamber I have and rod? Is there a number on the chamber?
Posted: Apr 03, 2011 07:18 PM
believe me,,,you wont change those packings,,
cant remember about the chamber id's,,its been too long,,,will look when i get to the shop if i remember to pull the box o crap out...
email me your mailing addy and i'll send you a care package with a few thingys,,,hell the craps collecting dust anyway..
dude
dan pruglo
Posted: Apr 03, 2011 07:28 PM
@foamdude So I need to buy a whole camber? Where can I get a chamber removal tool? Now I need to match the rod to a new chamber, also when the machine would be on and pressure at the gun would be 800psi no leaks when I press the trigger it leaks out the back but it comes out the front quite a bit
Daniel X
Posted: Apr 03, 2011 09:17 PM
Surprised you don't have the tool for removing the mixing chamber already, we had to take those guns apart more often than our new stuff...
chad harris
Posted: Apr 06, 2011 08:04 AM
You don't need to buy a new gun.

New chamber + new valving rod = back to work!

I have had happen what your experiencing. Gun was spraying fine, it was just leaking bad and foaming up at the packing nut. Tried everything to fix it before giving up on it. Nothing worked though until I replaced the mixing chamber and valving rod.
clint moore
Posted: Apr 09, 2011 09:54 AM
Call Intech Equipment & Supply. They probably have the largest inventory of existing D-gun parts around. Try Jerry @ 314-260-7548 or Mike @ 909-388-1071.
Daniel X
Posted: Apr 09, 2011 11:39 AM
And that is why I love this board, every thread about parts or equipment includes somebody plugging some outfit or tech/SALES rep.
dan pruglo
Posted: Apr 10, 2011 09:02 PM
Foamdude. You are awesome thanks for the parts!
thomas buckely
Posted: Jun 11, 2011 06:25 PM
Dear fix,
I have 30 yrs exper. foam & coating I also have a boat load of D-gun parts and some tricks for using the gun.
I read many of the replys and have to say I agree with most.
I don't think you can do any better foam detail work than with the old D-gun.
If you want, email me and I will send you my phone # so we can talk...I hate typing
Daniel X
Posted: Jun 13, 2011 12:52 AM
I agree, I miss the d-gun for some rare situations where my clean out air makes a mess...
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Jun 16, 2011 07:56 PM
What? You don't like repacking your little mixing chamber? It's only 5 lil itty bitty packings that you have to buy in a 10 pack bag each ....and you probably only need tweezers and a microscope! Try counting those buggers over n over. Why there are plenty of guys still using the d gun, 62 and 70 size chambers are the most popular for foam and 55 for polyurea. There is a boatload of those lil packings for sale on a discontinued gusmer list on the internet somewhere, cuz I typed it.....happy spraying.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.