Q&A Forums

Got the Halo Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 09:21 PM
Got the Halo
Was in and out of a building today where some open cell was being sprayed. Fairly decent ventilation and I had on some safety glasses. By the end of the day I noticed a foggy vision and knew I would end up with the halo. Was walking home and our spot lights had rainbows around them and now that I've looked up at our can lights, they have them as well.

This is my first time running into this and I'm wondering if it is because we sprayed a new product???

Typically how long does it hang around and what exactly causes it? I wasn't working around the sprayer but was in and out of the rooms he was spraying. Didn't have this problem with closed cell or another open.
philip mullins
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 10:47 PM
uhm, ur gonna die!

can i have ur air compressor?
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 04:55 PM
Looks like you've already got plenty of air.
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 04:56 PM
Cleared up fine today but another guy working around the house called me today and asked about it. He said his were pretty cloudy and couldn't see very far. Told him that's why we didn't want anyone around while we were spraying and why we make our guys where masks and/or goggles.
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 06:20 PM
I always wear a full face respirator with a fresh air supply while spraying and a full face respirator when trimming. The full face helps keep the dust out of my eyes when trimming which is a plus. If you are getting the halo effect you are obviously overexposed and need to fix that situation immediately especially for your employees.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 10:08 PM
Tim,
All spray guys wear full face Bullard fresh air. Helper on hose wears safety goggles and Org/Vap half face respirators. When working open cell, we might have one or two more guys working ahead or behind doing prep or trimming. They are wearing glasses and dust mask while trimming and cleaning.

The guys that ended up with halos were guys that were just in and out of the building. Nobody was sticking around with the sprayer. That's what was so suprising to me. This was a new open cell product for us. We've sprayed closed and another open cell and had the same type type of traffic thru the building with our guys and never had this problem before. I'm wondering if it is the product or just overexposure as suggested.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 06:33 AM
newbee,,
you will see this with more frequency in elevated relative humidities..
the blowing agent is suspended in the moisture laden air..your eye is largly water..the blowing agent puts a film on the eye,,,thus the halo...
temporary condition...
wear full face whenever working with or around waterbased blowing agents.
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 01:30 PM
Thanks Dude! So helpers are wearing full face organic/vapor respirators around sprayer? What about supplied air to the helper?

I think what got one guy was he went into a non ventilated room and started spraying right after it was sprayed.

Thanks again bro!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.