Q&A Forums

Froth foam DIY Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
George Phelps
Posted: Jul 08, 2008 10:19 AM
Froth foam DIY
http://www.energyefficientsolutions.com/sprayfoam.asp

To resolve ponding issues on my residential roof
I'm considering Handi Foam. At $619 for 605 board feet. The density is only 1.75 but I believe that can be adjusted upwards.

What are the pros and cons on this DIY project?
mason
Posted: Jul 08, 2008 01:37 PM
You are correct that there are 3 lb density froth packs available and I have found those froth packs to be sufficient for patch and repair of foam blisters on SPF roofing systems. But, to eliminate ponding requires a fairly good quantity of foam plus an even pattern and texture. Froth packs just won't give you a good pattern and foam texture even under the best of conditions. Also be careful when spraying foam over coating. I have found the adhesion between the foam and old coating is marginal at best and can lead to blisters later on. I recommend removing the coating from the foam with a trimming tool, scarfer or grinder befor spraying more foam to fill in the low areas. You can also make channels and grooves in the foam to get the water to drain past a high spot on the roof. Be sure to coat the area well after trimming the foam.

Check out SPFA's Technical Guideline AY 122. The Renewal of SPF Roofing Systems for specifics on inspection, repair and recoat of SPF roofing systems. (available at sprayfoam.org)
George Phelps
Posted: Jul 08, 2008 02:41 PM
That's good advice Mason...thanks.

The DYI froth ended up costing about $815 delivered for 605 board feet. They could order 2.5 pound but not 3 pound.

I think the best solution is to cut channels and do the best coat job possible. The cost to hire a contractor right now to shoot SPF is prohibitive and the DYI is also too expensive and problemactic.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.