Q&A Forums

Equipment versatility question Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jul 08, 2008 12:28 PM
Equipment versatility question
I have a new H20 spray foam trailer. I got it for spraying insulation of .5 and 2 lb foams. Can it also be used for spraying roofing insulation, and are changes needed inside the gun, or the whole gun changed? Can roofing insulation be sprayed over standing seam sheet metal roof that is just beginning to show signs of rust? Then the foam roof oversprayed with a sun and exposure overlayer to protect the foam? (I cannot spray inside the house, and want to improve insulation of the log house roof that only has R14 insulation now.)
mason
Posted: Jul 08, 2008 01:45 PM
The same equipment can be used for roofing foam. The only change would be a larger tip typically. However, roofing is a whole nother trade and requires some training and experience to do it right. There are lots of ways to get help. SPFA documents AY 102, AY 104, AY 107, AY 122. Check out the ASTM Standards D 5469, and the NRCA Low Slope Waterproofing Manual. Take SPFA's course 101 R (Fundamentals of SPF Roofing)

Then see if your supplier can help with getting set up for roofing and can provide training on site. You will also need other equipment, such as coating equipment, 100 CFM air compressor, ladders, fall protection equipment, roof brooms, power washers, wind screens, etc.

To address the metal preparation issue. Foam will not stop rust so that needs to be treated first. Either brush the rust with a metal brush or sweep blast it to remove it. Then treat the area with rust inhibiting primer before spraying the foam. (Your foam supplier should be able to recommend a brand they like to use)

And yes you do require a coating over the foam to protect it from UV degradation. There are coatings specifically designed for use with SPF roofing systems. Again get help from your foam supplier.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.