Q&A Forums

foam roof questions Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
sun yu
Posted: Aug 12, 2007 02:08 AM
foam roof questions
hi, i have a 2 storey home with no roof access, has tar and gravel on low slope roof, estimate roof 40x40 ft.

can you recommend a qualified foam company in the los angeles area?

one i contacted has only been in business since 2006. they do not install roof hatches nor included removing the gravel i have on the roof in their initial quote. they did however give me an additional cost to remove the gravel. i would like to have a company that could do the complete job with roof hatch installation so that it would be covered as well.

reading thru the q&a's has me concerned that random people want to get into the business and may not do a quality job.

know of anyone who is qualified in the los angeles area?

thanks.
mason
Posted: Aug 12, 2007 09:44 AM
There are many experienced and knowledgable SPF roofing contractors in California that work in the LA area and a little investigative work can help you find the right one for your project.

First contact a few material suppliers that sell in the region and ask for their opinion of who would be best suited for the job. For example,
Resin Technology, National Coating, UCSC and more (Contact information available at sprayfoam.org) If the same names come up from different suppliers, it is a strong indication the contractor will be reliable. Next, contact the contractors and ask for references (get at least 10 references and call them all). When interviewing the references ask them;
Was the job done to your satisfaction? Were there any problems/ If so, did they resolve to your satisfaction? Did they show up on time, make a mess or get overspray all over the neighborhood?
How old is the roof? When does it require a recoat?

Questions to ask your contractor:
How long have you been in business? What certification or accreditation do your applicators have (SPFA has an accreditation program for applicators, foreman and company that is pretty extensive). Do they provide a specification that covers surface preparation, type and thickness of sprayfoam, type and thickness of coating or covering, warranty and what it covers? Are they licensed and have appropriate insurance?

Now, I am familiar with a contractor in Vista, California who I can recommend. Cool-Roof Systems, 888-476-8231 The owner Lyle Orth is active in the trade association SPFA and was chair of the Accreditation Committee and Vice-President of the association. He does residential as well as commericial work and has a good reputation in the industry.
Michael Flander
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 10:20 AM
I just wanted to add a quick comment in here Mason to stick up for some of the newer contractors.

I have helped many new contractors start-up in this business, and while there are definitely some bad apples, there are also people who take all the proper steps to learn the business and its requirements before they ever spray a job. I can think of one or two people that have been spraying for less than two years in our area that I would trust to do my house more than some that have been spraying for over ten.

While I completely understand that there is no supplement for experience, some great work can also be done while seeking that experience!

As for you contractors that have been at this for a while and are obviously very good at what you do, your long list of references should serve you just fine...

My 2 Cents,
Mike Flander
mason
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 12:10 PM
Mike,

I totally agree. I would rather have a contractor with proper training, equipment, financing and responsible employees over a contractor with 25 years experience who just gets by with the minimum amount of quality.

My check list doesn't count out the two year old contractor and if a new contractor has considerable help from his supplier they may do a quality job.
Michael Flander
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 01:39 PM
It's just too bad more suppliers don't give the "considerable help" needed for their clients...

BTW, Great article on the myth's of spray foam from the previous thread. Contractors should have a copy of that article readily available for there customers! Do you know of a specific article that would address the differences and myths for a consumer trying to decide between open or closed cell? The aforementioned article seemed to concentrate on myths of closed cell, and not the differences between the two.

Thanks,
Mike Flander
mason
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 08:04 AM
Mike,

Go on my website masonknowles.com and download the article "Learning the Differences Between 1/2 lb and 2 lb SPF").

It is written in a "just the facts style" includes physical properties and characteristics of the two sprayfoams with some application info as well.

Also, I am providing an article to Construction Specifier magazine due out in October with even more detailed information. Called "Designing with SPF".
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 05:47 PM
We sprayed a home in 1974. The home had no central air but had a lot of pine trees around it. Everyone that came to the home in the summer were amazed at how cool the home was. Why has it taken this long to convince the "public" of the benefits? I sprayed a job today and handed out five business cards when I explained the benifits. Get out there and sell this foam! Be sure to trust the people you hire. Trust youself to always do the right thing. No BS. Customers do their research. If they are willing to pay for this, they have done some homework.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 05:47 PM
We sprayed a home in 1974. The home had no central air but had a lot of pine trees around it. Everyone that came to the home in the summer were amazed at how cool the home was. Why has it taken this long to convince the "public" of the benefits? I sprayed a job today and handed out five business cards when I explained the benifits. Get out there and sell this foam! Be sure to trust the people you hire. Trust youself to always do the right thing. No BS. Customers do their research. If they are willing to pay for this, they have done some homework.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.