Q&A Forums

FOAM HOME Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
David Pressler
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 04:14 PM
FOAM HOME
Now that I have pretty much made up my mind as to how I will build my next structure a question needs to be given and I am hoping someone on this board as an answer.
If in the process of building a monlithic concrete structure If steel was placed all over the drywall then foam sprayed would this structure be as strong as a mobile home? Naturally coating the outside etc etc. If in fact 3LB foam sprayed over #3 rebar or chain link 3 inches thick is structural would it meet the South Florida Bld. Code???
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 10:23 PM
Are you wanting to build a steel frame, drywall the outside, wrap it with rebar, rough in the plumbing and electric, and spray it with foam? No concrete, just foam? Sounds interesting. What are the structural requirements for the S. FL building code?

George
David Pressler

Builder of Off Grid monolithic indestructible concrete structures with exterior foam ALSO Foam Domes.

Posted: Feb 01, 2007 06:57 AM
South Fla Code calls for 160 mph wind load. Could 3 inches of closed cell foam in a dome configuration meet that? Could 3 inches of 3LB?
Will run this idea by my engineer
David Pressler

Builder of Off Grid monolithic indestructible concrete structures with exterior foam ALSO Foam Domes.

Posted: Feb 01, 2007 06:59 AM
By the way the metal framing inside used to lay the drywall on would be disassembled and removed.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Feb 01, 2007 08:14 AM
3" of 3lb foam should easily sustain 160mph wind, the question is, will it sustain a stick, or tree branch or any other item flying around at 160mph? I don't think so...

George
David Pressler

Posted: Feb 01, 2007 07:05 PM
Good Point but in Ohio maybe?
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Feb 01, 2007 08:07 PM
In Ohio? Maybe a heavy layer of polyurea over the foam would help with impact resistence.

Geo

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.